Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of a adopting a second cockatiel. Elvis hates me again after I took him to the vet and has just glared at me for two weeks. He seems more mad than scared and we are luckily not back to square one. He loves my boyfriend and is thrilled whenever he sees him, or any other person who doesn't bring him to scary vets for scary beak trims. So even though he hates me, he is tame enough to handle and to feel comfortable around people.

After he first began to come out of his shell he's showing personality and it seems like he could really thrive with a friend. He has taken a great interest in two things and those are his mirror and bird noises. He never cared for anything before, but now he is chirping and whistling when he sees or hears anything that resembles a bird. I even put on an hoopoe arm puppet (yes, a puppet as long as my arm) and held a "show" for him, with the puppet making squeaky sounds, not me. I wanted to see how Elvis would react. He was really interested in this giant weird bird, and climbed to the opening of the cage to watch. He didn't come out of the cage, but I think that was because I was so close to the bird (it beeing my arm). Also the puppet is a gift for my nephew so I didn't want Elvis to become attached to it or mess it up, and I put it away after I was sure it didn't scare him.

So now I want to adopt another cockatiel as I think Elvis would benefit from that. But now I need advice again. Should I adopt a tiel his age so they won't die too far apart (hopefully) or should I adopt a young one? If so I will have a really lonely and sad cockatiel in about five years, when Elvis is gone. Of course I could adopt two young tiels, but isn't there a chance then that they'll ignore Elvis and just pay attention to each other? There are also some personal reasons as to why I only want to adopt one more. But if that's the most sensible thing to do I'll have to think about it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Hi. Forgive me for not knowing your back story too well. I did see that Elvis is 15. Can I ask why is he getting beak trims? And I think you've had him a relatively short time, right? My tiel Sunny was 15 when he came to live with us. He's 19 now. I will say that with my tiel he adjusts to things slowly. It literally took him almost 4 months before he would leave the room his cage was in. I've learned to take things at Sunny's pace. Now, he is a complete cuddlebug, loves to explore, etc. But it definitely wasn't like that in the beginning. So I wouldn't just assume that things with Elvis are going to stay the same as they are now. He may just need time.

As for a second tiel, has Elvis ever lived with a second bird? There's always a chance that he and the other bird won't get along. So you should only get a second bird if you want a second bird, not just get a bird for your bird so to speak. As for age, I would get an older bird. I think it's unlikely you'll find a bird as old as Elvis but I think a young bird might be too energetic for Elvis to handle. My senior tiel definitely likes his naps, etc. And I wouldn't get two new birds. I think Elvis would definitely feel like the odd bird out at this point.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I agree with sunnysmom. Elvis probably doesn't accept change as well as a younger bird would and if he's never been housed with another bird, getting a second might not be a good idea. One thing to keep in mind...never get a bird for your current bird. Only get a bird if YOU want it and want to spend time with it. Otherwise, if the two end up not getting along, they'll have to be housed separately and have separate out of cage times. Just something to keep in mind!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree with the above. If you want a second bird, get one for yourself, not for Elvis. My 7 month old girl Zoe is a very singular bird. She was hand raised on her own, and she doesn't accept the company of other birds very well. I introduced her to my 4 week old baby cockatiel last night, and while she tolerated him, they would definitely not get along if housed together. Plus you don't want to stress Elvis out. If you get another bird and in time they are okay in eachothers company, that's great, but don't expect it.

Kudos though for thinking of his wellbeing! He is very lucky to be able to live out his senior years with someone who cares about him as much as you do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies. The reason Elvis needs beak trims is because earlier this summer, before I got him, he was with a woman who thought beaks should be clipped like rabbit claws. It has needed attention on a monthly basis since. My vet thinks Elvis will be able to fix it himself again, as he is grinding it against and chewing on anything, but that will also include a change of diet and we have just started that. The seed mix Elvis has always eaten has been low on anything useful so his beak is sort of crisp and weird, like how fingernails become without enough vitamin B.

I want to get another bird because it seems like Elvis seeks contact with anything birdlike. I don't want it so that I can spend less time with Elvis, but to make him more happy. Worst case scenario I'll have two tiels who hate each other, in seperate cages. I'm aware of that. I love animals and has always kept pets, so I know it's a responsibilty and requires a lot of my time. A second tiel would be just as loved as Elvis, but yes, I am thinking of getting it more for Elvis than for me. As to why I want it now: I have a week off work soon and would then have the time to be with the birds all the time the first week.

You all have a point as to how it might stress Elvis. He has made a huge progress from how he was two months ago when I got him, so maybe introducing a new bird when he is starting to settle down isn't a good idea after all. He has always lived alone and gets more attention now than he has ever gotten. And yes, he also likes his naps and tires quickly, so he might get grumpy if another bird disturbs him while sleeping? Right now he is next to me napping. He loves to nap with me, but at night he wants to be alone. He always reminds me with a sad hoot when it's bedtime and I'm still in his room. And if I wake him in the morning, oh dear me...

Thanks. I'm at least going to wait with another bird, so not to stress things.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the quarantine period for the the new. It's best to keep the new bird separated from Elvis for a couple weeks to make sure it doesn't show any sign of illness or have anything it can give Elvis.

·
Registered
885 Posts
^ A very good point. I quarantine my new birds for a month before I start to introduce them to my flock. I've been told that a month is excessive, but it works for me and it's up to you to decide on your own quarantine period :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that's true. I didn't think of that. A clean health certificate from the vet isn't enough?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Stress can sometimes cause a hidden illness to come out. Unless your vet is going to do a blood test (mine only ever did that on sick birds) then there's no way to be 100% sure that the bird is healthy. I always did both, two weeks of quarantine and a vet check, before introducing a new bird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts