Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost sure it's a safe veggie but wanted to double check. I bought a different mixed veggie bag in a rush and it has okra..is it ok?

·
Registered
581 Posts
okra greens or 'fruit'?
the greens are used as a salad green or cooked like dandelion or beet greens...
the fruit is harvested young and eaten as a vegetable ... the seeds have a high fat content, almost identical to sunflower seeds...
also known as ladys finger...
i doubt it would be bad for birds but i dont know for sure...

fruit....

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...yup, that's okra. It came chopped up in the bag of veggies. I saw a few articles online about it being given to birds but not enought to convince me...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I don't know much about okra either, I did a search as well and your right not a whole lot our there on it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
The bird channel and another site I ussually trust says it's ok. I'll do a bit more research..

So I broke down and called my vet...he had to call me back after he looked it up and then gave the ok. So, okra is a safe veggie...

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Hey did they like it?:)
I haven't tried it yet. I'm making it now for their dinner. I'll let you know in a few.

The official report is in:
It's been declined by the "where's the corn" association...I'll give it to the budgies- they ussually don't complain. If it's green it's food. Making the tiel's regular veggie mix now...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats good to know that the okra is safe, and hopefully your budgies will eat it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am almost sure it's a safe veggie but wanted to double check. I bought a different mixed veggie bag in a rush and it has okra..is it ok?
My both cockatiels like okra. They are fit and fine but most of the time they will only eat seed. My Indian ringneck also enjoys it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts