Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yeah, I know you should be tired of this. But well, I have to ask.

I got Archie a couple of weeks ago from a very neglected environment. He's got a couple of medical problems that are getting better little by little and today he whistled at me, which I consider a wonderful development with the bonding.

Thing is, I have no idea how old he or she is. He is not domesticated and has a temper. After reading around he has certain characteristics that point that he is a male, but we really have no way around in my country to get him tested. And the mutation, is not something I've seen around either.

He came here with malnutrition, mite & lice, infections and long beak and nails... so it is really no "surprise" that his feathers may not be 100% at the moment.

The closest I've found is that he could be a Emerald or Olive tiel... but seriously sick. Maybe with time, as he gets better, it would be easier to tell.

Could any of you sweet, sweet people, help this first time mommy?

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
He is pied, which cannot easily be sexed visually.

That intense yellow color in his feathers is likely from liver disease. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I thought it could be liver disease, so yeah :( I`m trying everything to get him better. Hope he comes through or at least has a better life no matter how long or short it might be :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Definitely pied. Any idea how old he is? I'd say if he's exhibiting male behavior then he's most likely male.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
oh look

Oh, poor Archie! I am glad you were able to rescue him and give him a good home away from the awful conditions he was in! Have you found out anything about the possible liver conditions (Maybe blood work)? I hope it is a condition that can be helped. Sending hugs and good thoughts you way!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have no idea about his age. The old lady who had him is no longer able to speak. But he whistles and sings a lot and now says hi with the "how you doin'" whistle, so yeah... he is a very flirty male. Hahaha

And about the blood work, I'm looking around vets but haven't found one that specific about birds. Even the zoo hasn't the appropiate equipment to see this through. I'm treating him according to the diagnosis made by two vets who said that indeed, it is liver disease (based on his feathers and skin). And well, I'm following instructions and hoping for the best! :D

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
A vet can see birds without being avian certified. My local vet back in WA saw birds because he was the only one on the island who did. Their blood machines will still run a bird's bloodwork. I hope you find one soon. Try searching for a small animal vet, or specialty vet. You might have better luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts