Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Lulu has laid (infertile) a couple of eggs... in a small glass vase. The vase is on a very high shelf, above a window. I can't imagine this is comfortable in the least and I'm concerned about her overall health for staying in this position, smashed against glass, for such long periods of time.

I tried moving the vase into her cage when she was out of the "nest" but she just returned to the spot above the shelf and yelled at me, so I returned the vase to it's previous location and she hopped right in.

I've heard you shouldn't take away the eggs, so I don't know what to do. I've ordered a breeding box for the next time this happens, but what should I do for now?

Thanks much - pics attached. It's so sad!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
odd nest

Cockatiels are cavity nesters nesting in hollows in trees, so that would feel pretty natural to her. The don't seem to be bothered by cramped spaces. I wouldn't encourage her to ;lay eggs, though, by giving her a nest box. Obviously the eggs are not going to hatch, so it's better not to let them produce eggs in the first place. There is info on the forum about hormone control. That should stop her from laying eggs. Look in the column on the left under "sticky library."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts