Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite recently I have noticed that Charlie would sit on a perch and would start chewing on the bars of the cage, then Oskie begin to display the same behaviour. I thought this was because they had nothing to chew on in their enclosure so I gave them some safe branches with leaves and different food. but after that they still continued chewing on the bars.

After searching through my books I discovered nothing that helped.

They had never done this before so I'm not sure if this is normal or something that should be stopped, if so how would it be done.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was going to ask if they were girls but then I saw your that signature confirmed that :)
That sounds like the female 'display' ritual... My girl does that with the cage bars too.
Do they make strange chirpy noises while biting the bars and get low with their tails sort of poking up?
How old are they?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen both my female Cocaktiels perform this display before but never whilst chewing on the cage, she and Charlie just simply sit there and chew as though its something to eat.

Oskie is about 1 year 4 months and Charlie is about 1 year 5 months

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My house is about half an hour drive to the nearest beach, so I don't think it can be due to salt in the air.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do they chew on it or just bite down?
Scout bites down to hold on/balance herself... She doesn't actually chew it.

Is the paint on the cage in tact?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<i>I have been watching all day and they do actually chew on it.

The cage is about four years old and some bits of the cage can begin to rust so in those areas the paint has come off.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Maybe they are trying to get out and want attention.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<i>When I'm at home their cage is always open and I give them a lot of attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts