Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I recently adopted a white face cockatiel at the end of April. His name is Hercules! I'm assuming this is right around mating season. He's been very aggressive. The only way he will come on my finger is when he flies out and lands on the ground. Even then he is very spastic and wants to return to his cage. He has never come on my finger on command. Will this change? Is it due to mating season? It's been well over a month now. He is very vocal but the mating calls are very dominant. When will it change?

I had 2 tiels growing up, and it didn't take them this long to be tamed. I look forward to some advice on this topic. Thank you!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Katarina, welcome to the group! Do you know how old your tiel is? If it is due to hormones you can try covering his cage 12 hours at night and perhaps this will calm him down. Keep working with him on the step up - it takes patience sometimes. Sorry I can't be of more help :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
He sounds very hormonal. If you have anything in his cage/around the room that he could see as a potential nest, remove it/rearrange it. And give him longer nights, around 12 - 14 hours. Also, older 'tiels that haven't had much human contact generally take a little longer to tame down. It's normal, just be patient and perhaps try bribing him with his favourite treat. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Katerina,
His behavior could be due to hormones but I am not 100% sure.
As others have mentioned there are things that you can do to decrease hormonal behavior in birds. Remove objects that might be seen as potential nesting material for your bird (e.g. shredded paper). Some birds might even 'show affection' :)p ) towards toys within their cages/aviaries. My conure used to 'show affection' towards a toy in his cage and we had to remove it to prevent him from becoming overly hormonal. Increasing sleeping periods to 12 hours can also help decrease hormonal behavior.

In sum, in order to reduce and control hormonal behavior, the best thing to do is to remove stimuli that might promote and trigger hormonal reactions and behaviors.

Here is a link to a blog which may help you: http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/5-tips-to-help-you-survive-your-birds-hormonal-madness/

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could that be what's wrong with my cockatiel? I had her for two weeks now and she totally changed she had been out of her cage the second day I had her now she won't come out all she wants to do is bite me she would step up on my finger and would sit in front of my mirror in my bedroom while I was in my room and she would sit on the back of the chair,when we would eat dinner but now all she wa nts to do is attack me she eats treats from my hand but when she gets,to the end of the treat she wants to bite my finger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts