Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have four cockatiels in 4' x 3' x 2' cage. All four are rescues. 3 male, 1 female (I received them as 2 bonded pairs). All are playful and singing. They don't like human hands, but that is a consequence of their previous bad homes.

Every few months, I notice these red splotches on the paper lining (see image). the consistency is thin with no center mass of feces. There is only ever 2-4 splotches, and they usually seem to happen at night. I always check the birds thoroughly for any signs of bleeding (2 are lutinos...so it's quite easy). Never any signs. No behavior change (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything).

I monitor them to make sure that their fresh droppings are fine. Everything checks out. They are given a luxurious diet of ZuPreem fruit pellets (multi-colored, including red), KayTee mixed seed, and millet treats. Their droppings are always "normal" colored except for these.

The female has never laid eggs. I give her bedding just in case...but she never shows interest. She and her mate were almost certainly physically abused in their past home (she has a broken wing that never set quite right, and he has an offset lower beak that I need to Dremel every two weeks)

Please understand that I am MORE than happy to take these birds to the vet to get bloodwork and a general checkup. I'm just trying to avoid taking all four of them. I just wanted to throw it out to the community to get your opinions. My gut tells me it's the female...but I see absolutely NO signs of blood around her cloaca.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Those look like bloodstains, but it doesn't look like it came from pooping. If your birds are having night frights, this may be bleeding due to a wing or tail feather being knocked partly loose. Toe injuries are a possibility if there has been any fighting - cockatiels like to bite each other's toes when they fight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts