Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys,

My 25+ year old cockatiel HB has been doing great in the months since I've posted. But tonight he was breathing through his beak on and off for about ten minutes. My question: should I take him to the 24-hour ER right now? There are no exotic vets on duty anywhere in the city right now, so all they could do is put him in oxygen tank overnight until the bird vet arrives in the morning.

Totally acting normal. On the tail end of a molt with tons of preening, so I thought maybe it was just feather dust being inhaled. He beak-breathed a couple of days ago (less than a minute), and made a few clicking noises once last week.

It's such a huge stress on him to be elsewhere overnight. Please let me know your thoughts ASAP - It's so tough making these choices!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not a long time cockatiel owner, I've only had my two babies for a few months now but I figured I'd give my opinion anyways since no one more experienced has answered yet ! Honestly I love my birds so much I'd take them to the ER anytime I suspect something bad... Especially since yours is over 25 years old !!! (Congrats lol) a couple weeks after I got my second cockatiel she fell on her tail and broke a blood feather. She started bleeding and I freaked out and rushed her directly to the ER!!! I paid $400 dollars in total and it turns out the bleeding would have stopped and she would have been perfectly fine if I would have just left her alone to take care of herself. I did not need to take her to the vet and I basically wasted $400. However, I don't regret it because god forbid there was something wrong with her that needed medical attention it would have gone unattended. I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to them, so even though I overreacted I'd always rather be safe than sorry 💛💙💜💚❤💗💕💖💞 I wish you luck !!! & please post up and let me know if he is ok, and what you decided to do !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Courtney. I actually got a out-of-town bird vet on the phone who was really helpful. She understand the huge stress factor for birds of going anywhere, much less overnight in a noisy ER! It's always a big balancing act between stress on the bird and seriousness of condition. Since he's completely back to normal, I've decided to keep him home for now and keep an eye on him. I've made an appointment with his regular vet. Of course, if it happens again, I will take straight to the ER.

I do appreciate the voice in the night, btw. Just hearing back from someone who understands is a big help!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
sometimes mine beak breathe if they've over exercised or if they're feeling a bit stunned (flew into something etc.) good idea to keep an eye on him :) hope he stays well!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts