Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, I purchased these really nice stainless steel food and water dishes for my cockatiel. However, he loves the water bowl and will perch on it most of the day, and sometimes sing to it. I do give him a lot of attention, but he LOVES singing to mirrors. The reflection at the bottom of the dish... He loves it haha. I think that's a problem though, he doesn't exercise as much and I've heard it causes mental issues. What should I do ? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a quite a bit of controversy regarding mirrors and other reflective objects. Mirrors aren't completely bad! If exposed in moderation, it is an easy way to entertain and stimulate your cockatiel. Some bird bathtubs come with mirrors, so that it may encourage your bird to enjoy bathing.

However, if your tiel is the only one in his cage, he may be thinking that his reflection is another friend (or even a mate!) This is when things get tricky, and why many suggest that psychological problems are caused.

For me personally, I use my two stainless steel bowls for dry and fresh food, and bought a separate plastic water feeder with a smaller mouth. Not only does it avoid reflections, it also keeps the water clean by preventing dirt and droppings from landing in it!

Hope your bird is doing well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a quite a bit of controversy regarding mirrors and other reflective objects. Mirrors aren't completely bad! If exposed in moderation, it is an easy way to entertain and stimulate your cockatiel. Some bird bathtubs come with mirrors, so that it may encourage your bird to enjoy bathing.

However, if your tiel is the only one in his cage, he may be thinking that his reflection is another friend (or even a mate!) This is when things get tricky, and why many suggest that psychological problems are caused.

For me personally, I use my two stainless steel bowls for dry and fresh food, and bought a separate plastic water feeder with a smaller mouth. Not only does it avoid reflections, it also keeps the water clean by preventing dirt and droppings from landing in it!

Hope your bird is doing well!
Thanks! I'll take that advice. However he does live alone, but he shows no signs of wanting to mate (you know). I will try getting a new bowl. Thanks for your time!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.