Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Schubert for just under a month now, and each day I've wondered if he's actually a he or a she.

His hatch date was April 14th of this year, making him just over 4 months old. He's a cinnamon (lightly) pied, but I'm not sure what mutations his parents were and I know cinnamon is a sex linked mutation. The breeder told us she was fairly certain he was male due to hip bone placement and behaviors, her being a breeder for over 30 years.

Here's some pictures I have of him. The third picture onward were taken today:

Our first look at him in June when he was roughly 2 months
Schuberti.jpg

The day we brought him home
Schubert2.jpg

His "racing stripes" on his head. Though I can't be certain, I feel like this is filling in with more yellow than when we first brought him home. But again, I can't be sure
Schuberts3.jpg

Back side of tail feathers (only four left from a fright)
Schuberts2.jpg

Underside of tail feathers.
Schuberts.jpg

I tried getting a picture of his wing spots, but he was not for that and it's a blurry mess, but on both wings the last eight or so secondary feathers nearest his body have no yellow spots, while the primary flight feathers (while some are clipped) have visible spots. While preening yesterday he appears to have another tail feather growing in, it looks pretty barred still, but it's mostly covered by the shorter feathers on his butt and I can't get a good look until his tail is fanned for preening.

This was all I had to go off of for most of the month that I've had him, but three days ago, one day after his 4 month birthday, he appears to have found his voice. He seems to sing only in the morning and right before bed(or, at first, only to Fall Out Boy's song Uma Thurman). Right now he's silent and mad at me for the wing picture, but I have a video of him singing this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4ZIQOwYHs

When I played this video back this morning, he went crazy and jumped off his perch and was desperately trying to get out of his cage towards me/my phone but hasn't done that since.

I tried to give as much info as I possibly could, and I could try to get another wing picture soon when I have a second set of hands and a bird who isn't as mad at me. No heart wings, no beak tapping, it seems when he's in front of a mirror he can peck at it, then ignore it, but if I take him away he tries to get as close to the mirror again as possible. I had a female parakeet who became egg bound and died a few years ago, and I really, really wish for Schubert to be male because of how painful that was for me to go through.

Any advice on gender? If he seems to be a she to you guys, any advice on how to prevent egg binding?

·
Registered
178 Posts
With a pied, all you can do is either go off of behavior (or if, you know, they lay an egg, heh) or DNA testing. I'd think he's a he based on the singing and what the breeder said. Both of his parents must have carried the cinnamon mutation for him to be cinnamon. He is super cute!

Also, his face might actually be turning more yellow and if so, you'll know once more time has passed and you compare baby to adult pics. I have a light pied male who started out with a completely grey face who now has a bright yellow face, so it is possible.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Visually, this appears to be a female. It looks like only a split pied so there should not be the same problems sexing that normal pieds have minus the head. All cockatiels when feathering in first appear to be females and over the course of the year the tail feathers moult in a solid color the the face turns bright yellow (pied is causing this on your bird and looks slightly different), and the wing spots disappear moulting in solid color.

If this is a very young bird, it may be too young to sex meaning it could still be a male.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^So since he's only 4 months old, and lightly pied, his feminine appearance is due to him being young and the lack of wing spots on his secondary flight feathers is a sign of being male?

Today in his morning tunes, he's got the wolf whistle down, and my boyfriend told me last night while I was at work he was doing pieces of the Chocobo theme from Final Fantasy we've been whistling at him, lol

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
He isn't lightly pied, only split. Lightly pied birds are carriers of two pied genes and usually have pied (white/yellow) wing or tail feathers.

I personally am not in the camp of breeders who believe if the secondary flights do not have spots it is a sign the bird is male. Hens lose that portion of spotting as well and sometimes never have it to begin with.

It sounds based on behavior what you have is a male though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Oh my god what a precious baby!!

I have a cinnamon pied baby, and she's a DNA certified female. Her hatch date was March 14th this year, making her a month older than your baby!

Before I had her DNA tested I honestly had no idea what she was. I'd been calling her a "she" since before she feathered out (I raised her from 7 days old) because we thought she was going to be lutino which would have made her female. Honestly I felt much better after getting her DNA results, it was great knowing for sure haha.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I vote that Schubert is male, that video strongly indicates to me a young male 'tiel exploring his voice and practicing a slight wolf whistle there. ;) Coco made exactly the same noises when he was becoming more vocal (I've had him since he was 9 weeks old). Schubert also has quite a bright yellow face mask for his age.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm starting to believe more that he's male, too. Maybe I was quick to write this post, because now he sings ALL day, and his wolf whistle is distinct and separated from other song. He also has found a new 6-note pattern that seems to have caught his interest of his own making that he liked to practice in louder and louder decibels for us and the cable man today.

Also, starting yesterday, in mid song he will quickly dip his head down and back up in a kind of metal band head-banging motion, but it's just once at a time and not multiple "head bangs" in a row. And I'm not sure if it's beak tapping, but he'll also quickly reach down or over and "bite" the bars or his perches in a quick swipe only while he's singing. It's not a "I'm mad at you" quick rapid-fire bite, but just a very quick reach down, chomp, back up that makes a kind of tapping noise all while singing.

Still I suppose I have a bit of a while to wait... as he's wolf whistling at my boyfriend's new hair cut

@shaenne: Aww cinnamon baby! You're bird is so pretty!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a cinnamon pied baby I'm hand raising right now. They sure are beautiful. Just sent in the DNA for my babies.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443935299.428444.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443935323.996983.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443935333.764988.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443935360.333411.jpg

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm starting to believe more that he's male, too. Maybe I was quick to write this post, because now he sings ALL day, and his wolf whistle is distinct and separated from other song. He also has found a new 6-note pattern that seems to have caught his interest of his own making that he liked to practice in louder and louder decibels for us and the cable man today.
Yeppers! Definitely sounds like you have a boy on your hands, LOL! The head thing, too, also sounds like a boy. Soon he'll be beak banging ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts