Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been reading a bit on the internet that says Cockatiels like nuts. Is that right? I didn't think they could eat nuts, if so, which would be best. It said:-

A Cockatiel prefers nuts to fruits. Because of this, some nuts make ideal treats. They can crack hard nuts and you should encourage them to do so. You can give them whole nuts as they love to crack open the shell to extract the seed. Their beaks are specially adapted for this function which could also be a form of entertainment.

I'm wondering if they mean peanuts in shells.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I've just been reading a bit on the internet that says Cockatiels like nuts. Is that right? I didn't think they could eat nuts, if so, which would be best. It said:-

A Cockatiel prefers nuts to fruits. Because of this, some nuts make ideal treats. They can crack hard nuts and you should encourage them to do so. You can give them whole nuts as they love to crack open the shell to extract the seed. Their beaks are specially adapted for this function which could also be a form of entertainment.

I'm wondering if they mean peanuts in shells.
Plukie here is a site to look at scroll down near the bottom
Fresh Peanuts and Moldy food hope this helps :)
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/diet3.html

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Unsalted nuts, taken out of the shell make ok treats. My guys (budgies included) all like stealing my peanuts, cashews and almonds. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts