Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some pellets for my baby cockatiels and they've been eating them and seem to really enjoy them. Now I'm just wondering how to incorporate seeds into their diet. Can Nutriberries be used instead of seeds or are they just meant to be used instead of pellets?
Would I put Nutriberries into their pellets? If not and I just got seeds, would I mix them with the pellets or feed pellets in the morning and seeds later? What do you do?

The vet told me to feed 20-30% pellets and a good seed blend (with fruits and veggies) so I'm gonna try to not give them only pellets all day.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I mix seed and pellets at about 60/40 into Joey's food cup. He gets fresh veggies daily, and 3-4 Nutriberries a day as treats. Some give Nutriberries instead of pellets, or some Nutriberries and some pellets, but tiels do need seeds too.

I find it easier to mix the seeds and pellets together, since he eats both equally well. You can put seeds in one dish and pellets in another, mix them together, or serve at different times of the day. As long as they are eating both, and fresh veggies, I suppose whatever works best for them and you is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I agree, some people do this separately, but I also mix seeds and pellets. I feed 50/50. No side overtakes the other, and they'll eat what they need. Nutriberries fall under the pellet family nutritionally. So, it's like feeding pellets, but if you like you can use them as a transition to seeds if you feel like they need help with that, but including normal seeds is important for small birds like tiels.

Vegetables are given daily

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm feeding Nutriberries, Pelletberries, seeds, and a few different brands of pellets. I generally serve them all in separate dishes but will sometimes put a few Pelletberries in with their regular pellets. They're much more interested then to pull apart the Pelletberries and end up eating more of their regular pellets, too. They've been going crazy for Nutriberries lately, too! :D

Millet spray is a treat a couple of times a week, and veggies/herbs I give every day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try mixing the seeds in with the pellets at first. If they just ignore the pellets for the seeds (I know some birds do), I'll just use separate dishes. Thanks guys. :) I'm also wondering how to get them to eat veggies. I've offered some (also fruit), but they're not interested.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
When introducing something new, I will hand feed it as 'treats' and act excited about it myself to help Joey see it is a good thing. When he first moved in with us at 2 months old, he ate seeds only. To introduce pellets, then different brands of pellets, Nutriberries, etc, I give them as treats. You may be able to do the same with seeds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feed 80% zupreem pellets in size small and fresh fruits and veggies for the rest.
They usually get millet about twice a week.
So far they are refusing to even taste any nut based treats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts