Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of tiels who have been mating, I gave them a nest box last night in hopes of having a couple of babies for my friend who has recently lost her tiel. If I do have babies, I am wondering if anyone could tell me what type I may end up with.
My male is lutino and my female is cinnamon pearl pied.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Without any splits, you would only be getting lutino girls and normal greys. Your female is actually a whiteface so if your male is split to whiteface, you can get whitefaces. If not, all their chicks will be split to whiteface. If your male is split to cinnamon, pearl, or pied, then you can get any of those chicks as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without any splits, you would only be getting lutino girls and normal greys. Your female is actually a whiteface so if your male is split to whiteface, you can get whitefaces. If not, all their chicks will be split to whiteface. If your male is split to cinnamon, pearl, or pied, then you can get any of those chicks as well.
I never did fully understand the mutations, my last breeding pair were both the normal grey with the yellow face.
Sounds like I might get many different types. Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, no problem. It's always fun to see what types of chicks come out to see any hidden splits on the parents' mutations. Just so you are aware for future pairs, pearl, cinnamon, and lutino are all sex-linked so only females will show the mutation visually while males can be either visual or split for those mutations. In order for you to get any of those mutations from a breeding pair, the male has to be split or visual for any of those three mutations or you won't get any of those colors (even if the female is visual). Pied and whiteface are recessive so BOTH cockatiels have to be visual or split to have any offspring that are visual for that mutation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts