Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow... I haven't been on here in a while! Heya guys :)
Basically, I've had my cockatiel, Cosmo for almost 7 months now. We bought him as a bird who hadn't been hand reared, and so I know that he'll never be quite as tame and loveable as other cockatiels, but I'd still like to know where I stand with him being a pet! It's just that sometimes he seems lovely and sweet, and then other times he's a beast! :blink: I'll make a list of all his positive and negative characteristics:

Positive

• Follows me around my bedroom
  • Loves sitting on my shoulder
  • Chews my hair
  • Sings happily on his perch all the time
  • Eats from my hands (at times)
  • Lets me kiss his stomach and forehead
  • Grinds his beak when he's sitting with me

Negative

• Sometimes changes mood suddenly
  • Doesn't allow you to scritch his head/under his chin
  • Won't let you touch his wings
  • Doesn't mimic any sounds we make/sing to us (he sings to himself, mainly!)
  • Sometimes bites if you try to get him off your shoulder
  • Hisses
Any advice? I'm not expecting him to become a perfectly tame animal, as I know he grew up unfamiliar with human company, but I would like for him to gain more trust in me eventually. I love him all the same, but I'd hate to think that he'll never fully bond with me! Thank you! :grey tiel:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Some singers bloom later than others. If he is a boy, everybird gets annoyed now and then, and like people they can be grumpy. Quite a few birds dislike their wings being touched. Some birds never want scritches, and some just need longer to trust you.

Are you sure he's a he?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some singers bloom later than others. If he is a boy, everybird gets annoyed now and then, and like people they can be grumpy. Quite a few birds dislike their wings being touched. Some birds never want scritches, and some just need longer to trust you.

Are you sure he's a he?
Thanks for the advice! I guess patience is key :) And I'm fairly sure... The pet store said it was most likely. Plus, he's lost his pearl markings, which is what occurs with males, if I'm not mistaken?? I could be wrong though! :confused:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yep a male then :) Mack hasn't copied anything for us yet, unsure how old he is but we've had him nearly two months and he likes laughing and sounding like a chicken.

I know someone who's baby cockatiel didn't start whistling til he was 9months old

·
Registered
519 Posts
It sounds to me as if Cosmo has bonded with you pretty well for a young bird. Give him time to develop his personality. As for the negatives, they are pretty normal for most tiels, they have their bad moods as well as good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts