Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm very new to bringing up cockatiels. I have bought 2 of them 3 months ago, a male and a female (the male is the white and the female is the grey).

I am taking good care of them as much as i can and things are going well so far EXCEPT:-

1- They don't love each other although they eat and sleep together but they always fight.

2- the female is so aggressive towards the male although she seeks his attention so much by whistling and popping her head (i have heard it's rare for females to whistle but i'm gonna talk about that in details).

3-the female unfortunately has become crazy about whistling it mimics the whistle of the male exactly and it keeps doing it from sunrise to sunset which is really annoying. I don't know why she is doing that since females -in general- rarely whistle.

4- what confuses me the most is that i saw both of them -with my bare eyes- whistling and popping their heads trying to get each other attention but one of them always ignores the other, if the female tries the male will ignore her and go away and if the male tries the female would bite him.

5- Can they ever breed since they are not paired? today i saw the female looking at the nest from inside then the male stood in front of it and prevented her from approaching.

6- how can i help them be paired and what tools i can use to let them enter the nest and what do they need to prepare the nest?

I need your help and i hope you explain to me what's going on.

NOTE : Sorry for my bad English since I'm writing you from Egypt, English is not my first language :)

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
How old are they?

1. Birds are just like people. Sometimes they like each other, sometimes they don't.

2, 3. I don't know why everyone says it's rare for females to whistle, because my females always whistled. Sorry, but why'd you get a bird if you don't like bird noises? XD

4. Birds are flock animals. They need attention.

5. Again, how old are they? They shouldn't breed at all if they're under 2 years old. And they ~can~ breed if they don't like each other. Females will usually lay eggs if there's a nest, whether the eggs are viable or not. But your tiels are going to be very aggressive towards you if they start laying eggs.

6. You can't help them be paired. They choose their own mates. If they like each other, they'll pair up.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
My birds Loki and Rocko didnt get on at first I had them in seperate cages and let them be out together then I moved them in together and now they are good friends they are male and female I will probably breed them in the future went they are atleast 2 years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pippitha thanks for your response , It's not about bird noises, it's about "too much abnormal" noises :D
2- I don't know their age but i think they are less than 2 years old.
3- the problem is that they both seek attention from each other sometimes but some other times they fight and bite each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brandon, i will give them some more months and if there is no development i will use your strategy and buy a new cage and separate them :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
To me it sounds like you have two males there. Females aren't known to sing 'from sunrise to sunset'. That is definitely a male trait. The grey may look like a female, but all males look like females until they mature. If they're both males, this could explain why they fight so much. If they seem unhappy, you may have to separate them into two different cages to give each bird his own space.

They're very beautiful looking 'tiels, by the way! :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Pippitha thanks for your response , It's not about bird noises, it's about "too much abnormal" noises :D
2- I don't know their age but i think they are less than 2 years old.
3- the problem is that they both seek attention from each other sometimes but some other times they fight and bite each other.
Like Char said, I was wondering the age because the grey tiel could actually be a very young male.

Have they been DNA sexed?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yeah that's almost definitely two males you've got there from what you've described. They should be caged separately and slowly introduced on neutral territory. When they are friendly enough to do so, put them in a cage together. You will need to rearrange the interior of the cage (perches, food bowls, etc) when you do this so that they feel like its a "new" cage and the one that was previously housed in it won't be territorial over it.
However, they may never be friends and you may need to house them separately forever. There's no guarantees.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Char, I don't think it's a young male but days (may be months) will tell lol. I will definitely buy a new cage and separate them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tasheanne , thanks for your reply, i seriously hope it's not a male lol but as i said before days will tell!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts