Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im not new to cockatiels nor birds had them my whole life im acctually a breeeder of budgies,cockatiels,quails, gouldian and zebra finches.

Anyways a year or so ago i adopted the cutest little guy. i named him einstein i helped his human parents out by taking him because his bird parents(first time parents 2) just had him and neglected him the ripped his feathers out and he had to fend for himself. so i picked him up brang him home helped him adjust and since then hes been on my shoulder ever since. he loves the outdoors and scratches as well as the occasional hug. im not the person who cares if he talks or does tricks as long as i and he is happy thats good enough fo me.

still a baby becoming a teenager he plays up i do try to teach him right from wrong but its the terible 2's as my mum would say all in due time.

my problem is i cut his wings for his safty and my reassurance. because i breed other birds he always wants to try and fly to them hes getting better at not doing it. but recently after i cut his wing because i let them grow till he can fly before i cut them. since then a week ago hes pulled out allll of his wing feathers. i brought him a night light to help keep him calm. and i even cover him. but its like hes having a scare or night fright with out the acctuall scare. idk what to do. ???

and now because of having no wings when he trys to fly instead of gliding to the ground and all he falls straight down hes hurt a previously htrt leg again and im scared i dont wanna sleep incase it happens again..

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Have you actually seen him plucking the feathers? Can you restrain him and look at his wings to see whether there is any sign of injury or trauma? Honestly I think I would recommend a vet check unless you can link the feather loss to an accident. Plucking usually has a medical cause, especially since this sounds like a pronounced change in his behavior.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
try not covering his cage at night. it may help prevent nightfrights in your case. also a nightlight and some background noise like the radio at night :)

if its too dark and quiet, my guys get nightfrights. so i leave the tv on for mine. and cover their cages half way.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Try to keep him at a low height over soft surfaces to minimize the risk of injury if he falls. For example put a towel or a thick layer of newspaper in the bottom of the cage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts