Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have this one heavy pied white face female cockatiel that is not interested in breeding at all. I got her about a year ago from my neigbor and before that she had lived with them for also about a year. They found her outside and took her in. She is wild. But is tamer than what she was in the beginning. I have a male tiel that shows a lot of interes in her. She just bites him every time he tries to go near her. I have had her in the outside aviary as well, but wanted to breed her this winter season. She almost never make a nois and just eats and sleep and preen herself. I have seen that she sometimes want the male to preen her and vica versa. But they never get to the point in preening each other. Any thoughts on why she is like this? I have moved her to another cage as she is very irritadet with the males persistence.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a bird like this, a lutino named "Perky". Her previous owner passed away and I took her in. She never breeds or mates but she does occasionally get hormonal and lay eggs. Recently she has been sharing a nest box with one of my pairs, sits on their eggs, and feeds their chicks. Occasionally I see her preening both the male and hen pair but she never mates. I can't really offer any advice but be patient. Perky previously showed no interest in other cockatiels, this seems like improvement. Honestly, I don't think she will ever raise a fertile clutch of her own. It may be true for your hen as well. Expect nothing, but give her company in case she changes her mind.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have had a cockatiel like this also, Scarlet. She was a very solitary bird and in the end I moved her to her own cage instead of the aviary with the other birds because their presence just stressed her out.

I guess some birds just aren't into it lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts