Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so my aviary is finally built and my birds have all moved in this weekend. My birds are settling in very well and are having to get used to having people around them a lot more than when they lived next to the woods on my friends land where they were very secluded. Unfortunately where I live now is in a housing estate and very echoey! I never noticed before how loud and how long the night time flock call lasts. I have 6 adults cockatiels and 2 fledglings and they start their flock call around 7pm and it goes on for at least two hours. Is this normal or is it because the surroundings are new? We are concerned the neighbours may complain so I am going to sell one of my pairs and I always sell the babies. But if they are still this loud for that long every night I will be forced to rehome them all. If anyone has any helpful tips on how to make the call not last as long or to fill the sound abit it would be very gratefully received!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
How long have they been in the new aviary? It's probably because they are still settling in. Do they get full darkness at night or is there a lot of nighttime lights near their aviary? Perhaps they would quieten down if they had more darkness. I really hope you don't have to re-home them!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They only went in two days ago I’m putting it down to new surroundings for now as I would hate to have to rehome them I love my tiels. Luckily we don’t have street lights as we are in the countryside but our back garden meets with everyone’s else’s and it forms almost a circle of houses so it amplifies the sound! I’m going to suggest to my partner shutters or some kind of blind that could be closed when they start to see if that will help as the new aviary is more open than the old one which was basically a shed with 1 mesh panel. Or I consider shutting the cockatiels in every night but that would mean having to put nest boxes on the inside rather than the outside and would also mean herding all the birds each night which I don’t want to have to do

1 - 3 of 3 Posts