Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok all my tiels had a very bad night fright they were freaking out like something terible i checked on them they were ok then i checked on my new breeding pair wich is in my bedroom and i saw moonlight with blood on her left wing and her cere it was not bleeding but there was blood she is ok then i went and checked on miracle she is ok

·
Registered
342 Posts
Aw, I'm sorry, Allen. It's bad enough with my one tiel, I couldn't imagine your whole flock having it! :( I'm sorry to hear about Moonlight but glad to hear she is ok, as well as Miracle.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
That's pretty scary aye. It happened to mine the other night, only to the older ones but not the babies.. they were all flapping around like mad! no idea what made them get such a fright all of a sudden. :eek:

Anyway, glad to hear they are OK, thank god moonlight wasn't hurt badly.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I probably overdo the night lights here but I have a blacklight over the aviary, the aquarium light (next to the aviary is on at night) as well as a couple small night lights in the wall sockets. In the breeder room very much the same. I find that when I have new birds or have moved them to a new location there is a much greater possability of night frights. The extra light helps them orient themselves I think.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I don't cover mine. It seems to me that something you can hear and not see would be much scarier.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't cover Tiki and Torch either. Since I work nites, coming home at 3 AM... the dogs bark when I get home. And I think its better if the birds can see when I get home. I also have a fairly bright nite lite on... neither one makes a sound when I come home. I usually come into the computer room so they know it is me. Both are awake and alert. Then I just leave the room without saying anything and shut the door part way. So far so good...

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Iam glad everyone is alright. I cover Spike but leave the bottom open so he can go down and look out if he wants, he also has a night light.

·
Registered
670 Posts
aww night frights are awful live not had that problem till last week , i had the curtains open and didn't want to switch the light on and so walked past the window to grab something it cast a shadow an jojo went mad, i switch the light on an calmed him down, last time i do that

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a night light, too, and cover 2 1/2 sides of the cage. It seems to help. Every once in a while she might have a small fright but it's very rare. When she has one though, I think it scares me more than her! :p

·
Registered
917 Posts
Harley had a night fright a few days after I got him, it was entirely my fault.

I had his cage uncovered (it's usually covered, but it's a very loose weave blanket with ratty-made air holes so he can see through it and get in plenty of night light), and I went past and tripped, knocking a pot plant off the shelf and smashing its saucer onto the ground. He was fast asleep and it sent him into a huge panic.

Even though I knew I shouldn't have, I gently pulled him out of the cage and he calmed down instantly. It was a good thing there weren't any other birds around to get spooked, it's a very scary thing to witness.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
There's nothing wrong with bringing him out and comforting him. Don't feel that you shouldn't have. I'm sure it made him feel better.

·
Registered
917 Posts
That's good to know! Everything I've read has suggested just talking to them until they calm down, and explicitly said you should never pull them out of the cage, but he was so panicked that I just plucked him out of the cage. It was such a relief to see him calm down instantly.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i thought i would let you no how bad this night fright was when i saw moonlight bleeding i had to remove her and stop the bleeding i had cornstarch right near on top of the dresser there was 2 tabs atached to the breeding box one tab had a small nick on it i thought i had inspected it close but looks like i did not so i removed the tabs drilled 4 hole in it and filed where i drilled to make sure no sharp edges

·
Registered
670 Posts
aww bless her she is beautifull, poor thing i guess i was lucky with jojo not having anything like that i supose its another reason not to overfill the cages with toys

hope she is feeling better soon

·
Registered
342 Posts
aawwww, poor baby. i'm sorry - i know it has to hurt your heart to see her hurt! she'll be better and even more beautiful soon though. poor thing. at least you caught the nick and it shouldn't happen again.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
It's a good thing you were there to help her and that you know that cornstarch works just as well as styptic powder. Good on you once again.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well the lady who sold me the box called asked how it went with the boxes i could not lie to her as she has 7 more she is selling so i told her the story and told her how to fix the problem she felt so bad she came over to see moonlight and then she gave me another box for free but she did say she checked all the other boxes and none are like the one i got

1 - 20 of 20 Posts