Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two young cockatiels recently breeded, and one of the eggs just hatched this morning (I'm not sure exactly what time, but we found it at around 8 in the morning, dry and clean). However, it's been 8-12 hours and we haven't seen any signs of the mother feeding it. She is sitting on it and the rest of the eggs for most of the time, but she is clearly exhausted sometimes and needs to refuel. The father is currently separated from them bc of mate aggression (I tried putting him in with the chick, but he was too scared to approach the nesting box). I have all of the supplies to feed it by hand, but I lack any experience with baby birds at all. I've watched videos and read up on every website possible.
I'd like the mother to feed it herself if possible, but I'm not sure how long I should wait before feeding it myself. Does anyone have any advice? Please let me know as soon as possible, this little chick's life depends on it.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Do you know how to check the babies crop to SEE if it's being fed? If not, you may have no choice but to hand feed it. In a normal situation, we let the parents feed them for the first two or three weeks then we take over to give them a rest and start feeding and taming the babies. This is a rather odd situation when neither off the parents will make an effort to feed the chicks. Right now as you read this, I would check on that baby VERY often......like every few hours! If it's NOT being fed, just do the best you can! Please keep me posted.

Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Robert, thank you for all of your advice and help! It hasn't been fed so we started hand feeding. Thankfully it's a strong chick with a large apetite. Today is its second day alive, and it even stood on its own to eat!
Unfortunately, the mother passed away last night (we were all with her), so now we're going to try to take care of her baby to the best of our ability. We're not letting it go with an empty crop, and it's pooping pretty well!
I hope this first critical week goes okay.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am so sorry to hear you lost the mother! I had a similar incident happen a few years ago. Everything was going fine and both parents were feeding the four chicks. When I came home from work I found the female had come down sick. We rushed her to the vet and the x-ray of her lungs did not look well. We thing she simply ate too much and asperated some food that went back into her lungs. She passed the next morning in an air chamber at the vet! We were VERY lucky, Kiwi the male parent stepped right up and continued feeding the chicks for another week until we took over. Perhaps that's what happened to your female. I'm really hoping that little baby you have makes it! Yes, the first week WILL be critical. I'm curious, what happened to the daddy bird? Is he still around?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, and I'm sorry for the loss of your female bird, too. It might have been the same thing that happened to my female, since she ate quite a lot that day. She also had been pretty tired throughout the whole nesting process, sometimes having plenty of energy and other times easily losing her balance.

The daddy bird, Happy, is pretty young, just shy of 20 months old. He and my female were old enough to reproduce, but I think since they were both hand-raised by a breeder, their instincts are a little weaker. I've tried introducing him to the chick, but the coward becomes as skinny as a stick and shuffles away when it squeaks haha. The chick is responding pretty well to food and is even trying out its legs!

Again, thank you so much for all of your support and your help!

·
Registered
673 Posts
That's really good news to hear about the chick! So I'm assuming this is the only baby from this clutch or are there more unhatched eggs? That's sad about the male not taking care of the baby but we really can't fault him for the way HE was raised. Please keep us posted and know I'm really pulling for your little one!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm REALLY curious.....How's that baby chick doing? Did it make it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, no, the chick didn't make it. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but it seemed like it had an issue emptying its crop. It seemed pretty active and loud earlier, but I guess it didn't have much of a chance without its mother. We wanted to take it straight to a vet Monday morning, but it didn't last through the night.

Thank you for checking in!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Man I am SO sorry to hear this! I was really pulling for the little guy. Your right, without at least one parent and as little as it was....I don't think the poor thing had much of a chance. Just DON'T give up on cockatiels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.