Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just become the new owner of a two month old, female whiteface cockatiel :D. I've currently got two budgies in a huge aviary outside, but Screech, as I've named her, is going to be my baby. She is still being handfed three times a day by the petshop, so I can't take her home just yet. She has started playing with the seeds, so hopefully she'll start eating on her own soon. I just want to know if I can hang her cage in the aviary during the day, while I'm at work, so that she has the company of the budgies, or keep her in my bedroom which is next to the aviary? She is tame and willingly steps onto my hand when I go to visit her, but she has always been with other birds. Will the separation from her sibling upset her, and will the company of the budgies help or hinder her adjustment to a new home and owner? :confused:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Hi and welcome to TC. I've moved your post to Cockatiel Talk because I thought you would get more answers to your questions here. First of all you must be really excited about getting your new baby, of course photos will be welcome when you finally get her home. You will need to quarantine her from your budgies for 30 days, in a different room, with no contact at all with the budgies or any other birds. Then, I would see how it goes, sometimes budgies and tiels just don't get along and it would be awful if you hung her cage in with the budgies and she was afraid of them or anything. Maybe try it out a few times first before putting her there and leaving her. There are a lot of people on here with budgies as well as tiels, they can offer more information, I only have the one tiel.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D Congrats on your new baby! I have a whiteface female too. :thumbu: Like Plukie said, you will have to quarantine her away from the budgies first (inside if they're outside) but then there's no reason why you can't see how they go together. I have three tiels, and one of them would love nothing more than to live with her three budgie boyfriends. The other two hate the budgies and it would upset them to be put in with the budgies, i would have to worry about fighting and injury if i tried.

Don't expect anything out of the introduction, it depends completely on the individual tiel as to whether she'll get along with budgies, and whether they'll get along with her. :)

They can adore each other

Or they can hate each other

Cookie is a budgies girl because she was a baby and an only tiel when i bought her, so Blinkie and Ozzie (budgies) were her only company and playmates when she was out of her cage. Bailee and Gracie both had another tiel so they stuck with their own species. :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bea has given you great advice! I have 7 budgies and now 3 tiels, alll quarantined still though. I would definitely supervise how your budgies and tiel interact before leaving them together even if your tiel is in a cage. Budgies fight dirty, biting toes and that really hurts the bird on the receiving end!:eek:

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Welcome to the form :D I have a budige Icarus and a tiel Spike and they are not friends but are starting to accept each other.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the welcome and advice:). I was planning to quarantine her anyway, the last thing I want is my budgies catching something from her even though she might appear healthy. I'm also trying to find an avian vet in my area so that I can have her thoroughly checked out, but it appears we're a bit short on them. We do have a pigeon club though, so I'll get hold of them and see if they can recommend one. My budgies are wild. They are used to humans but they have never really been handled since they were rescue cases. I don't want Screech to get hurt, so when I do introduce them it'll be on a weekend when I can watch them like a hawk. Pig (the male) might accept her, but Dotty is, as her name implies, slightly insane. :p

I really can't wait to get her, but it appears I'll have to wait until next week since she's still not eating on her own. I think I need to start cultivating patience, especially as the end result will be worth it. :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums:)i have 4 soon to be 5 tiels and one of them being my baby who is also a whiteface female:love:hopefully the next few days will fly by and you will be able to take screech home with you!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I really can't wait to get her, but it appears I'll have to wait until next week since she's still not eating on her own. I think I need to start cultivating patience, especially as the end result will be worth it. :D
Patience when you're waiting for a new bird is IMPOSSIBLE! :p Hopefully it won't be too long for you to wait though, i had over a month to wait for Bailee.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today is the first day since i bought her a week ago that i haven't been to visit or phoned. It's driving me crazy! but at least i know the pet shop is taking wonderful care of her. Sigh... hopefully i'll be able to pick ur up on monday. will be spending this wkend on her cage.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Hehe, i had Cookie's cage set up before i had even found a baby tiel. I think i had it set up for at least a week or two before i went on a phone frenzy and found that a pet shop just outside of the city i live in had tame baby whiteface tiels for sale. :D We went and picked Cookie up that day.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I was the same with flicky i had my cage set up before i found Flicky and rearranged the toys and perches in the cage about 30 times before she come home!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to see Screech yesterday. :love:
After not nagging the petshop for the entire weekend, I felt the need to go and see her. She's grown! Her tail feathers are twice as long as they were the last time I saw her, but her overall size is not much bigger. She spotted my necklace and immediately had it in her beak. After reading all the warnings about snapped chains etc, I took it away from her very quickly. It was a 21st present and I'd rather it stayed around my neck. I moved her to my wrist so she could nibble on the little watch button instead. It's a silver watch so I'm not too worried about any paint etc flaking off and her swallowing it. Just so she doesn't yank the button out and swallow that! :eek:

I'm hoping she'll be eating on her own by the end of the week (cross your fingers all), and I'll be able to take her home and bond with her the entire weekend. It would suck if I had to take her on a weekday and she was alone in a strange place while I'm at work. :(

I'll post pics of her as soon as I get her home. I can't wait! :love::D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
She sounds like a real sweetie! :D I'm really looking forward to you getting her home so we can see some photos!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thats great you were able to see her, sounds like she is doing great, my fingers are crossed hopefully soon you will be able to bring her home :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts