Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found the site searching for info about my new cockatiels. Growing up I raised a bonded pair who did have a chick. They were my sweet little angels.

Now 20 years later someone gave me a pair because they didn't have time for the birds. I've been observing them for awhile now and it doesn't look like they ever bonded. He's very intolerant of her, pushy, and snippy. She is just a little submissive and it ticks me off. They don't take turns eating and they don't preen each other. When they sleep, they sleep on the same perch, but his back is always to her. I don't believe they're a very happy couple. I'm wondering if I should just take her out of the cage before he really hurts her. They've lived together for a few years before I picked them up, but they're not meant for each other. I just know it.

They aren't very friendly yet. They will be.

Anyway, hi!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum :) if they have been together for a few years I would think if he was going to hurt her it would have happened by now I have heard from other people that there tiels are not bonded together but they tolerate each other and when there not together they call for each other, I don't have hands on experience with this though as my male and female are in seperate cages :) mine are the opposite my female can be nippy and my male is sweet and cuddly :D, I hope all goes well with your tiels I am sure you will work it all out ;)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Hi and welcome to Talkcockatiels! Glad you found us.
If they have lived together for a while without incidents, but just don't seem to be into eachother I don't really see a problem. You can separate them but it's up to you. As long as noane is getting hurt or anything.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Hi and welcome to Talk Cockatiels!! :D For a rather long time when i got my male cockatiel he and my female simply tolerated each other. Until very recently i thought that they just didn't like each other at all, but when i took the female, Cookie, out for some one on one time they called back and forth like crazy. If you think there's a risk that they will fight, separate them. :) But tiels are very peaceful birds, and usually don't get too agressive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts