Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully not a total newb to birds, but its been about ten years since my conure passed away (not really sure how, the vet didn't have answers and it was incredibly sudden).

The story of how we got three cockatiels when we meant to get a cat goes like this - my boyfriend and I were looking for a cat to add to our dogs (my schnauzer and his Pomeranian) and went to our local, well-sourced and incredibly awesome pet store (that I now work at as a dog groomer and a shop person!!!!). The cats there are all from rescues (as are all their dogs, they have tons of adoption events). So we were looking at the cats, talking to the employees, really considering the adoption process.

Then we walked around and were looking at everything else because we like to spoil our dogs and there were two cockatiels in the little bird area. They were both super sweet and adorable and they stole my boyfriends heart. He kept coming back to them and refused to leave without talking to the store owner about them. So we did. And we got to hold the lutino, who was super sweet. But we couldn't take him home that day so we put him on hold. He had to get some blood feathers checked out by the vet before the owner would be confident in sending him home with us.

Thus began ONE ENTIRE WEEK of me going into the pet shop every day after work, talking to this cockatiel for a half hour or so, and eagerly amassing toys, food, cage, etc. By the end of the week, he recognized me and would come running to the front of the cage to see me. This bird was meant to be. After the vet came to pull his broken blood feathers, he came home with us.

I've wanted another bird for a really long time, but the sudden death of my conure always sits in the back of my mind and makes me incredibly paranoid. I also worked as a long-haul semi driver for the last three years which would be an awful job to have a pet bird. Then I quit, and the possibility of getting a bird got that much closer.

Now, I have Wade, the lutino from the pet store, and my coworker's two birds Kiwi and Piper. She gave them to me ONLY BECAUSE her adopted dog from the rescue wanted to eat them and they weren't getting as much out-time as they should have been, and juggling a dog and two birds would never be fair to anyone.

TLDR - My boyfriend and I got one bird, adopted two more, and now have a lovely flock of three (who are not all yet living together because things take time)

Sorry for the wall of text, I've been incredibly excited about these birds and wanted to share somewhere!!!

I'm happy to be part of this forum :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! And congratulations on your new babies! Sounds like they have an amazing home :) And major kudos to you for taking in a couple of birds in need! I look forward to seeing pictures :D

I am very sorry for the loss of your conure :( I lost one a couple of months ago, too (green cheek) from unknown causes. We think he was bitten by a spider though as there was a white-tail spider hanging out on the wall behind Bandit's cage. So devastated :(

Also don't apologize for your post.. It was a pleasure to read because you used paragraph breaks!!! Lol. It might seem odd, but I just can't focus enough to read a huge wall of text that doesn't have paragraph breaks in it >.<

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Thus began ONE ENTIRE WEEK of me going into the pet shop every day after work, talking to this cockatiel for a half hour or so, and eagerly amassing toys, food, cage, etc. By the end of the week, he recognized me and would come running to the front of the cage to see me. This bird was meant to be. After the vet came to pull his broken blood feathers, he came home with us.
Congrats on the three babies, especially Wade! I was like you when I got my first conure, Moonie. Always visiting until the bird knew me, heeheee. And pet stores are very good at sucking you in and taking your money. Or is that taking your money when you're sucked in by those cute faces? One of the two. Anyways, congrats and hope to see you around in the future :)

PS- sorry to hear about the passing of your conure :( My Moonie passed over a decade ago and I still miss him. Sigh.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Such a touching story about how you met your 'tiels! Looking forward to seeing you around on the forum! :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome from Joey and me. :) I loved reading your story of how your flock came to be. Our fids are so much a part of our lives, so I enjoy hearing how they came to be in our lives.

Hope to see pics soon. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! I'm glad my wall of text didn't put anyone off!

I'll be adding pictures as soon as I can! Might be asking a few questions about introductions since for the moment Wade is in his double flight cage and both Piper and Kiwi are in their own cage. The goal is getting all three of them in the double flight cage, but one step at a time!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hello! Welcome from Percy and me :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts