Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Having been raised with cockatiels growing up we purchased a lil girl 5 months ago. She is about 6 months old now and has been moulting. My question is, how long does this last? I watched her lose many feathers and gently helped scrape off that coating on her new ones. Now it seems that she is at it again only this time the feathers she is losing are fluffy, almost from the underside or her coat. Is this pretty normal? Just want to be sure the moulting is going well.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Spike posted a good link. They molt certain feathers at different times- I find that first they molt their crest, body, wings and tail then the little puff. Just from what I observed. I don't think it's in any particular order though.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
My Bailee's just started moulting and he seems to be losing feathers from around his wings and tail at the moment. In my experience moulting seems to last 2-3 weeks, but it feels like forever. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much! I can relax now, she seems to be doing fine although she's pretty cranky and times and very demanding for her cuddles and scratches!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts