Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the eucalyptus tree can be good and bad, I notice its listed in the safe list that someone kindly posted here.

I have a large eucalyptus tree in my garden, and bamboo actualy
As I dont currently have any natural perches or wood in the cage, is it a good idea to cut a piece of the tree to enhance "charlies" natural environment, should it be de-leaved or left alone?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Hi and welcome! Mine tried eucalyptus and loved it- you can offer branches free off pestecides- it's ussually good to just rinse them with water a bit. You can leave it until it's dry or all chewed up.;) I can't think of why someone said it might be bad, it is safe for sure and as long as it's free of pests and pestecides it should be fine. Same with bamboo. It must be nice to have both those in your backyard! Bamboo is my favorite!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

And thankyou for the reply from sunny florida! (at least i hope it is)
I will endeavor to get some in the cage for him then, and see how we get on.:)

And yes the bamboo is one of my favorites, not that I am a big gardener.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much is too much, can they overdose on the leaves?
I have put a reasonable size branch in the cage, it looks nice but charlie hasnt looked at it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It's a safe plant so it's ok to just leave it there. Some of mine preffered it after it dried up..we'll see if ur Charlie likes it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Eucalyptus is fine, and good for them! :D My guys love when i get a big wet branch and hang it in their cage. The only time it would be bad would be dried and treated in potpuri or something. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guyz/gals

He hasnt bothered with them at all, I tangled some around his perch, which he does sit on - but doesnt seem interested in chewing them up yet.
maybe he doesnt like trees, lol:D

Also he seems to reply when I talk to him, but doesnt make much sound, I have only ever heard the screech of happiness when he comes out.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thanks guyz/gals

He hasnt bothered with them at all, I tangled some around his perch, which he does sit on - but doesnt seem interested in chewing them up yet.
maybe he doesnt like trees, lol:D

Also he seems to reply when I talk to him, but doesnt make much sound, I have only ever heard the screech of happiness when he comes out.
because its new to him it might just take him sometime to get used to the new perch in his cage :D
He is quiet now so enjoy it once he gets going he will never shut up...LOL My Ollie was a quiet boy and now he chatters constantly :eek: ...hehe

·
Registered
320 Posts
Banjo loves Eucalyptus leaves and because thats what they chew on in the wild its good for them too! He especially likes a branch with lots of gumnuts on it or eucalytpus flowers! He chews and chews on the branches and makes a huge mess in his cage but at least it smells great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts