Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit over 2 months ago i rescued a female cockatiel. She doesnt seem to have been touched alot and thats ok . i think i made a common error of placing a mirror in her cage..she loved it so much she layed a egg a few days later. I removed the mirror to add a new toy and a month later i changed it back to the mirror...then she layed a egg again today and sat on it most of the morning. The first one she ignored. She often leans towards me a coos and mumbles alot.and screeches when dad comes in the kitchen. I read egg laying is not good for her vitamin levels. Is it the mirror ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
A bit over 2 months ago i rescued a female cockatiel. She doesnt seem to have been touched alot and thats ok . i think i made a common error of placing a mirror in her cage..she loved it so much she layed a egg a few days later. I removed the mirror to add a new toy and a month later i changed it back to the mirror...then she layed a egg again today and sat on it most of the morning. The first one she ignored. She often leans towards me a coos and mumbles alot.and screeches when dad comes in the kitchen. I read egg laying is not good for her vitamin levels. Is it the mirror ?
Well, there are different schools of thought on mirrors. On one hand, some love them but they will see that ‘other’ bird as their friend instead of you. ( I mean the bird in the mirror). I don’t put mirrors in the cage. It’s up to you. As for the egg, if there is no male with her, take it out ASAP because obviously it’s not viable. You don’t want her to try to sit on it etc. It’s normal for females to lay infertile eggs. Don’t let that keep you from trying to tame her. It has nothing to do with what you are doing.
You are doing a great thing by trying to bond with her. It’s good to rotate toys. They get bored. Best of luck with her! Most of all, have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is actually guarding it. Her 2 fav toys is my ring and a zip tip i have on her cage to reenforce part i dont think is strong ....she love it lol. Ill remove the egg i just worry cause i read it is not good for them to keep making eggs and depleting vitamins she needs. Ofcourse i feel bad cause she is sitting on a egg like she wants a clutch. I love how she leans over to sweet talk....she hollars when i am not in there i might try putting in the bed room and see if she lets me sleep...lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m not sure you can stop her from laying eggs. It’s a natural thing they do. I’ve had females before. I was a breeder as well as a pet owner. Be sure she eats a healthy diet. Try to get her to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Google it and you can find a list of what is safe. Also put in a mineral block and cuttle bone. It helps give needs supplements. She is adorable! I rescued my guy at 12 years old recently and he won’t eat fresh food 😢. Oh... don’t leave fresh food too long in the cage for obvious reasons. It goes bad. Keep the cage very clean, fresh water every day. Don’t add vitamins to the water. Some people have tried that I’ve heard. Don’t do it. You can buy good food that has what is called foraging food. Cocktails in the wild get some of their food from the ground.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m not sure you can stop her from laying eggs. It’s a natural thing they do. I’ve had females before. I was a breeder as well as a pet owner. Be sure she eats a healthy diet. Try to get her to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Google it and you can find a list of what is safe. Also put in a mineral block and cuttle bone. It helps give needs supplements. She is adorable! I rescued my guy at 12 years old recently and he won’t eat fresh food 😢. Oh... don’t leave fresh food too long in the cage for obvious reasons. It goes bad. Keep the cage very clean, fresh water every day. Don’t add vitamins to the water. Some people have tried that I’ve heard. Don’t do it. You can buy good food that has what is called foraging food. Cocktails in the wild get some of their food from the ground.
I forgot to say, they need a lot of sleep. Cover her at night. About 12 hours a night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She wont touch her cuttlebone. I am wonering about veggies.. Raw or cooked ..thinkin about trying brussle sprouts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well you can’t force her to eat it! Lol. Keep trying different veggies. I prefer raw but cooked is ok. Just don’t overcook them. You’ll lose the vitamins

1 - 10 of 10 Posts