Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i let my female tiel sit on what i thought were infertile eggs for the past month, and today i hear "chirp, chirp, chirp" ... which i thought i heard a day or 2 ago, but there in the bottom of the nest box, a tiny slightly limp ball of skin with a mouth!

I had dust issues and the father passed about a month ago. So the hen is all alone. ... I'm not sure if i should help her as when i open the nest box to peer in, she becomes quite hostile, even tho she is hand-raised.

This first baby seems to be doing quite well. I hear it being fed consistently every few hours, but...

I was quite certain the eggs were infertile, but if all 8 are going to hatch, i'm sure some of them will not survive without my help.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Congratulations! If all the eggs hatch, you can help out by co-parenting - letting the chicks stay with Mom most of the time, and "borrowing" them two or three times a day for handfeeding. The best time to start handfeeding chicks is when they are about two weeks old - there's less risk of aspiration then, and less dependence on the digestive juices etc that mom is providing. So you can let mom take care of the littlest ones while you help out with the older ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Seems only 2 of the eggs were fertile after all. But the 2nd baby doesnt seem to be getting fed enough or just isnt growing as fast as it's older sibling which is now half the size of the mother but still only about 6 days old :)

Edit: left that too late. got up this morning and found the 2nd baby dead ; ;

1 - 3 of 3 Posts