Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am glad to have found this group forum. I hatched (incubator) a abandoned egg from a woman who has many birds. I was bird sitting for a month and when they found on the floor pretty cold, I took it home to see if I could hatch them. After candling, I saw they were fertile. Has hatched. I believe the other may be dead in shell. I know have two additional fertile eggs she gave me after finding them abandoned as well. She has many breading pairs and they fly free in a room (yes-it’s as crazy as you can imagine-pretty sure she is a bird hoarder but they are pretty well cared for. I had to spend approx four hours a day split morning and night to take care of them.) but usually go to their home cage to raise chicks.

So a little back ground, I do wild bird rescue on the side through an organization. I’ve had many baby birds I’ve had raised to release but usually they are a about 4+ days old. So far my little one is on day three going strong (wish me luck). I am pretty confident in my ability to get him/her to maturity and beyond.

A few years ago, I lost my cockatiel to smoke inhalation during a house fire and didn’t think I’d get another one but after bird sitting, I realized how much I miss him. He was my companion for 15 years and brought me much joy. So, diving in with a baby (or two) that I hope to hand tame. Tye Tye wasn’t too tame but he like to sit on my shoulder and fly to my head from across the room. In her flock, a lot of them reminded me of how loving they could be when hand raised and I wished I could experience that. Hopeing I will 🙂. Attached is Pip. We heard him pipping and my daughter named him.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi !! 🙂

Trust Me I’m Feeling The Same Pressure Right Now ...And The Little Thing Is Only A Day Old 😮

I’m Just Going To Go Ahead And Do My Best And Be Very Careful With It ...It’s My First Time Hand Raising A Chick From This Young ...

I’m Very Sorry To Hear About
Tye Tye 😞

So I Really Do Wish You All The Best With Your Little Pip And I Hope We Can Look Back On These Scary Days A Couple Months Down The Line With Two Lovely,Strong,Healthy Cockatiels 🙂

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a pic of my Tye Tye and a few of my rescues including the youngest one I successfully raised to release. He is in the pic of the birds in the cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm so sorry for your loss of Tye Tye, he was absolutely beautiful.

I really admire the work you do and wish you the best of luck with your new cockatiel chick! Please keep us updated on how he/she is doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.