Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately my cockatiels have been getting freaky 1-3 times a day, and lately I've been noticing when I let them out of the cage they like to go into the closet where it's dark.

During the summer they laid 1 egg, and after about 2 months I noticed they wouldn't go near it. I learned that if in two months they don't do anything to the egg you can just throw it away.

So my question is what should I do? I have a huge flight cage, so what type of nesting type of thing should I get? And if the eggs do hatch what do I do?

Thanks in Advanced

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
There are alot of things to consider before adding a nestbox.... Have you tried any hormone reduction techniques? http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=2678. Are you ready for the risks and problems with the parents and babies that could come along with breeding? Are you prepared to hand feed if something goes wrong? Try to keep them out of the closet.

You should do a little more research on cockatiel breeding, heres a good article, http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html ( the only thing is this says to use paper towel as nestbox bedding but you will want aspen or pine wood shavings). Read all of the stickies in the breeding section they are an excellent source of info, as there is too much info about breeding for me to just write it all down here :p

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
There are many issues involved with breeding. You need to do your research on this. :) Could you post pics of your birds?

You should first determine positively that you have a male and female.. and then make sure they are of a reasonable breeding age (over 1 year old). There can be many issues involved with hens laying eggs. If their diet, housing and mental status is not where it needs to be, you will not have successful hatchlings.. and more importantly could have issues with your hen's health.

There are many threads already on here from first time breeders as well as many helpful sticky notes that highlight what you need to be prepared for.. from possible vet costs.. to equipment.. to time spent on taking care of the new feathered family.

If you do have a male and female and they are of breeding age, and you are at a point in your life that you can make time for their care, then do some research and find out if this is for you. :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I am the first to say a lot of risks come with breeding my first pair my first clutch and I ended up having to assist hatch the egg SCARY and I was lucky to be able to save my Nay Nay then at 10 days I had to pull him and now at 26 days old I'm still hand feeding him it takes AloT of time and commitment and I recommend you do your research first also and egg should hatch bye 21 days so I'm not sure who told you 2 months but I believe them to be incorrect do your research also make sure you actually have male female because 2 females will just do it just to do it and candling the eggs help make sure you have teheran proper bedding and f

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I also want to point out then before I went into breeding I came on here asked a MILLION and ONE questions did ALOT of research took all the advice I could get and changed what I needed- Its VERY important that your tiels have cuttlebone also- and I add scrambled eggs veggies wholewheat breads- Pellets too... Ask alot of questions & Please post pictures of your birds so that someone on here can determine if indeed you have M/F or F/F please keep us posted :) April

1 - 6 of 6 Posts