Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm Julia and just got Nico a week ago. Bought him from a breeder and he was hand fed, so pretty friendly right away. Nico is about 14 weeks old. He is whistling and chirping. I was wondering if you have to do "training" to get them to say a few words, or if they just pick some up with you talking to them. Same question with singing/whistling recognizable things. We have been wolf whistling to him, and he is sort of starting to pick that up. Anyway, he seems to be settled in and happy, and my husband and I feel like we have a new friend. We also have a bearded dragon, who is 10 years old, and blind. She doesn't seem to mind Nico at all. Just ignores him. :pearl:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Nico sounds like a gorgeous sweet cockatiel and it's great that he's settling into his new home so well. :)

Keep talking to him as much as you can and repeat the phrase/words/whistles you want him to pick up as often as you can. He will mimic what he likes the sound of most, especially if it's high-pitched. It can take them a while to learn things properly but once they catch on to it you'll never hear the end of it :D haha!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.