Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tiels are displaying breeding behaviors. Although I've kept (male only) tiels for 20 years this is my first male/female pair.

I don't want to hatch a clutch but I do want my birds to have the experience of mating and nesting as an enrichment.

I've purchased a nest box, pine shavings and mock eggs.

My plan is to let nature take its course, replace the real eggs with the fake ones and allow the female to incubate them until she loses interest.

Am I doing this right?

What's the time frame for switching out the eggs?

Any and all tips will be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fweep, I'm no expert on breeding birds, but I personally don't think that's such a good idea. Laying eggs takes a LOT out of the female, and there's always a risk that she can become egg-bound and possibly die. She can also become overly hormonal/territorial/aggressive as a mother. It's not worth the risk.

There's no need for birds to breed "for enrichment. " Male and female birds can lead full and happy lives together, and as long as you don't provide any nesting objects or materials, may never show breeding behavior or lay eggs. I've had a number of budgie pairs that happened to be oppositely sexed with no nesting objects and I've never had any problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts