Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our female cockatiel for about 5 years. We also have 2 males. The female, Dante (we though she was about for the first 2 years...) has been laying infertile eggs for the last 3 years. But this year our newly mature male has found a way to seduce our illusive female :) and we have fertile eggs. The problem is that we have no idea when the fertile eggs were laid! We had an unfortunate mishap: she had laid her eggs on a play structure and we didn't move them because they haven't been fertile in the past. Unfortunately the play structure was knocked over and all her eggs were shattered. So we bought her a nesting box, and she almost immediately laid an egg. Then we had no eggs for about 7-10 days (I think the egg laid was around June 19th) then she laid 4 more- we were informed that if she laid more than 4 to take one do that she didn't get overwhelmed because the daddy bird isn't sitting on the eggs (the girl bird screams and chases the dad off when he tries to go near the nesting box while she is in it. The male is only 2 years old and has never seen eggs before) we have been told that taking the egg was a bad thing do we have not fine that again. However 4 eggs is where she stopped this time. A few weeks ago we realized that 2 of the eggs seemed to have veins in them and were turning dark.
The mom bird is the only on sitting on the eggs, so when she gets off to eat drink etc she will sometimes stay off the eggs for over an hour.
But last night I was looking at the eggs with a flash light (very careful not to touch or move them) I noticed something was moving inside an egg! It looks dark red, but there was definite movement near the air bubble at the tip.

Can anyone help me determine how old they eggs might be? I know they take 18-21 days to hatch, but I have no idea how far along they are! They are at least 2 weeks old, but no idea after that... I've been doing research and am not finding the info looking for..

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
I'm not an expert on egg development, but if she's been sitting on them for at least two weeks they should hatch soon. Eggs generally hatch 16-18 days after incubation begins. The "18-21 days" rule allows for a few days of the parents not actually incubating the eggs, since many birds don't start incubating until several eggs have been laid.

Were the eggs on the play stand fertile or infertile? I assume that you saw the contents when the eggs broke.

Do you have good bedding in the nestbox? Since at least some of the eggs appear to be fertile, this is very important. There's info at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27688 if you need it.

It's OK to touch the eggs - just wash your hands well beforehand since it's possible for bacteria to pass through the eggshell. The air-bubble end of the egg is where the baby's head should be, and this is the end that will pip when the baby starts to hatch.

If the eggs hatch, keep an eye on the situation to make sure Mom is feeding the babies. Provide her with high-nutrition soft foods that she can pass along to the babies.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
A good thing to have around is hand feeding formula. Even if you never hand feed the babies, it's good to sprinkle some of the powder on mom and dad's veggies or other soft food so that the babies have a little extra oomph in their nutrition as mom and dad feed them. It also helps mom and dad recover from laying and nesting. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts