Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
Hi, y´all! Yesterday morning I adopted a 5-year-old untamed male Cockatiel. His name is Oscar the Grouch. I am his 3rd home. Any training tips? I will wait a few days to let him get used to everything.
Yes, since you just got him yesterday. he needs some time to get use to you and his new home. Since you say he was untamed. you have your work cut out for you. At 5 years old, it's just going to take time. I feel sorry for a poor bird that's been passed around like a Thanksgiving turkey! No wonder he's a grouch. Try to find out what he likes for treats such as millet. Go easy on that because most tiels love it, it's fattening. You might also see if you can get him to eat a few veggies like broccoli. When he's a cranky bird and you think you've lost all hope.....THAT'S when you really need to come thru for him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, since you just got him yesterday. he needs some time to get use to you and his new home. Since you say he was untamed. you have your work cut out for you. At 5 years old, it's just going to take time. I feel sorry for a poor bird that's been passed around like a Thanksgiving turkey! No wonder he's a grouch. Try to find out what he likes for treats such as millet. Go easy on that because most tiels love it, it's fattening. You might also see if you can get him to eat a few veggies like broccoli. When he's a cranky bird and you think you've lost all hope.....THAT'S when you really need to come thru for him.
I might even be his 4th or 5th home. I am at least his 3rd home, poor Oscar. He loves millet and it will be perfect for training! I am going to start training on Wednesday. I am excited to work with him. I will be using the stickied training method discussion in this forum for him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best wishes to you and "Oscar The Grouch." This forum is so valuable. Myself and my remaining 4, 28 yr. old cockatiels read stories from illnessnes to wonderful stories like this. I am so thankful for people whom open their hearts to any one of a kind bird, or creature whom just wantsneeds love, care and companionship...a healthy, happy life. Best wishes, really. And yes, as RS states: "be sure and keep us informed about...Oscar." Peace, Fr. Greg, Cramer, Ollie, Pearlman/Sneakers and Cosmo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.