Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone!

I am new to tiels and to this forum :wf cinnamon:

I bought my baby bird at a reputable aviary a month ago. I fell in love with the idea of having a companion bird when I got a new job which requires me to look after Amazons, lovebirds and bourkes. After a lot of research I decided a cockatiel would be amazing! My partner kindly bought her for me after weeks of me going on about having a bird!

Anyway, her name is Baby and she's a 3 month old whitefaced cinnamon(?). I'm pretty sure she's a hen because she only chirps and doesn't sing?

After a few weeks of soft talking and sitting next to her cage, I have finally gotten to the stage in our relationship where she will perch on my hand and eat her seeds, which is so special! I will work on getting her to "step up" soon.

My main question is: has anyone got any tips on how to get your tiel to eat fruit and veg? I don't want her to be stuck on only seed for her whole life. I know it's quite full of fats. she eats cuttlebone and has an iodine block, but I want her to be as healthy as possible and get her vitamins.

Failing that, can anyone recommend a dried fruit and nut mix for tiels? I can only find some for bigger parrots.

Any hints or tips on new cockatiels would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Attached is a photo of Baby! I adore her.

With love from the UK!

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hello and welcome, from me and Maxi, also from UK!

Congratulations on your new birdy! Cockatiels are the best (biased, me? eheh). Sounds like you're making good progress with Baby! Great foundation for a long lasting friendship :D

I don't really have any advice on fruit and veg, Maxi has disdained any attempt from me..though she'll happy nibble a rich tea biscuit, have shiny eyes at any chocolate I'm eating, likes bread/toast and anything which isn't fruit or veg. There are plenty of good tiels on this forum who are healthy though, so sure others can post some advice for you!

Lots of knowledge on this forum, enjoy your visits and don't hesitate to ask questions!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome from Joey and me. Baby is just darling! Joey will avoid fruit at all costs, and seems to actually be afraid of apples. He's not huge on veggies, but loves broccoli and carrots, and is okay with kale and spinach if he has to eat them. A good start is to chop them up really tiny, the size of seeds, and sprinkling them over the seeds so that they blend in more. Broccoli is a good start, since you can just 'shave' the tops with a knife. Once Joey learned to eat his veggies, I started putting bigger pieces in for him to eat. I'd stick a broccoli floret in between the bars of his cage, but at first he would just sit and talk to it until I took it out. At that time I'd still add some to his food. One day he finally decided to take a nibble, and has been eating it ever since. It is trial and error, same as with small children. Some foods they take to immediately, some take several tries, and some they never take to. It can be an adventure sometimes. :D

Sometimes hand feeding the tiny pieces, as if they were treats, also helps introduce them. I did the same with pellets. I hand fed them to Joey as treats to introduce them, making them out to be something pretty special, and he learned to love them right away. I still hand feed them as treats since he still accepts them as something special (in addition to adding them to his daily food). It works best to get smaller than tiel sized since they are easier to eat, even for older tiels. Parakeet or budgie sized are just about perfect. Pellets have a lot of nutrition that tiels need. A daily balance of seeds, fresh fruit and veggies, and pellets is the way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi!

Hello to you and Baby! My buddy Nimbus and I are super new here, too!

I usually do what TamaMoo said with veggies and chop them up really small so they blend in with pellets or seeds or something. I also got Nimbus to start eating sweet potatoes by sort of mashing some around a single pellet and feeding it to him by hand. I held it up for him between my fingers, and when he went to extract the pellet, he got a bunch of sweet potato along with it. Then, he went right over to a little pile of sweet potato pieces I'd set out for him and started munching away. That was a lot less time than it usually takes him to really get into new foods, and I think he just happens to really love sweet potatoes, but if you have any fruits or veggies that are a little bit mushy, it might be something to try. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Baby looks a little like my Sno-Cone! As far as the fruits and veggies, once she is more accustomed to you, she'll probably want to eat what you're eating. That would be an ideal time to introduce lots of new foods. And for something healthier than normal seeds, I have to suggest Lefebers Nutriberries. My tiels loved them at first bite, and they can have as much as they want. Nutriberries can be pricey at stores, though, but if you have Amazon Prime you can get them cheaper. (At least in the US) Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on your new cockatiel! They are wonderful birds to have.
I just cut the veggies up really small and lightly sprinkle some seeds on top. This tricked mine into trying the veggies and it worked the first try!
I provide a cuttlebone, but I also use Oasis bird vitamins that can be order off amazon or bought at the pet store. I spent much time comparing vitamins and this one had the most vitamins as well as all the important ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi everyone! Thanks so much for your replies, it made me smile to hear about your feathered friends!

I will definitely try cutting up the veggies really small, the broccoli idea is great :) I am going to get some nutriberries as I keep reading about them on this forum!

I covered a banana in seeds the other day and she seemed to like that, I will continue with different fruits and veg.

thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome and what a cutie! <3

I feed with budgie size pellets from zupreem, and my tiels love it, that way I know they are getting all their vitamins and minerals without needing cuttlebones and vitamindrops.

When I want to feed my tiels a new kind of veg or fruit, or really any kind of fruit and veg I hang it from the cage wall or top, and they've really taken to that, even tasting things they have never seen before! I don't know if it's because that's how they have always been used to getting millet, but it works really well for them.

This is a really great forum, I hope you feel at home here, and come with lots of pictures! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome from me and Chicken, that's my 'Teils name, lol. Any tips or advice is just spoil your baby, earn trust. The more she will love and trust you, having her step up will be easy! Welcome with love.

~Skye

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome to the group from Milo and I! You have a beautiful tiel :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome from Percy and me :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts