Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just got my new tiel today. She is a little over three weeks old and will need to be hand feed for another month. She ate about 3 and a half hours ago and her crop is still very full. She is just kinda laying around the cage resting on her wood chip bedding, getting warmed by the heating on the bottom of her "cage". The breeder told me that she was not old enough for a regular cage so she is in a plastic cage (just like the breeder said). She doesn't have all her feather yet so she needs to keep warm. The breeder told me to use wood chip shavings as beding but I am worried she will eat it. She has picked it up a couple of times but then put it back down. Is this an ok bedding to use? Does this all sound normal to you experienced teil owners? How much should a baby tiel be sleeping? Do you have any advice for me? Am I allowed to hold her would she is this young or should I only talk her out to feed her? I thought about taking her out wrapped in a towel and letting her fall asleep on my lap. Is this ok to do? Oh and what should I use to wipe the food off her face when she's done feeding? I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

·
Registered
670 Posts
umm i am not an expert but i dont think the breeder should ahve sold her that young to you, they have to be fully weined before they go to a new home,

but to help you out, falling a sleep on you shoudl be fine, and wood chips i dont use them but it would harm her, sleeping is ruffly 12hours but dont know about a young tile,

i am not 100% sure how to answer all your questions but your doing fine, to wipe the feather i would use a damp new clean clothe or kitchen towel

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
How warm is it inside her little case? It should be around 95 degrees for a young Cockatiel. This way the baby can digest it's food properly. Also I would replace the chips with paper towels. Your right to be concerned about your bird eating some. That could happen and might lead to crop impaction.Some people use news paper but you have to be careful of colored ink and the black ink makes the birds look dirty. Paper towels are easy to change, give a baby a good footing so he won't get splayed legs. The temp inside the brooder can be reduced as the baby starts getting more feathers.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Wood chips are not good for birds they nibble them / eat them then cause crop impaction

tiels aren't even weaned until they're 10 weeks old (majority of the time)
Nesting materials are often ingested by chicks when they start to forage for food. Some types of bedding materials are not digestible, causing digestive impactions if swallowed by chicks. Wrong types of nesting materials include: any type of liter, corncob bedding, or walnut shells, any type of wood chips or wood shavings, pine, aspen, cedar etc. Some impactions can be treated by avian vets with digestive enzymes and antibiotics. Other impactions require surgical removal or they can cause death.. The use of pine, cedar, aspen or other wood chips/shavings should also be avoided. Cedar is toxic and the fumes and dust from other wood type bedding materials contain fumes and dust that will irritate a bird's eyes and respiratory system.
From this website

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/feeding.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts