Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have very recently acquired a new Tiel from a previous owner. They told me he is about 4 years old. We'll just call him Bird. lol. Anyways. I need help. He is very aggressive even though I know the owners didn't raise him that way. As far as training, he knows "step up" (he only sometimes listens to me) and can say "hello" and "pretty bird", but he doesn't try speaking to me yet.
The first night seemed fine. I have a somewhat tall ladder (tall for a bird) and I hooked it to the entrance of his cage so I could leave the door open and he could come out when he felt ready. Well, I talked to him for about 20 minutes softly and didn't reach out or do anything to startle him. He ended up coming out on his own and climbed on my shoulder. This is the most I've gotten out of him.
Since then, and I have no idea why, he has been aggressive. If my hand goes anywhere near him his crest goes down and he will peck at my hand if I get too close, or he'll even bite. Normally it's straight to biting. I've attempted to give him millet and other treats but he just doesn't accept them. I did get him out tonight but he started hissing at me and I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to reinforce the bad behavior, so I felt like putting him in his cage would just tell him that it was okay to bite and hiss because it would give him what he wanted. I ended up doing so anyways because I didn't think of any better options. Obviously you can't exactly "punish" a bird, and it would be wrong to do so.
Now, I will say I haven't had him for long. Today is only day 3 (technically 4 because i'm typing this at 12:30 at night). I do understand it will take time to get him to trust me. Though all the tips I read tell me to handle him daily and let him out of the cage. for days 2 and 3 I left the door open with the ladder by it, and no response from Bird. I honestly don't know what to do already other than to just leave him alone. Is that what I need to do? Just ignore him until he shows he wants out? And if he does, what if he starts hissing or biting when I go to get him out? I feel like leaving him in the cage/putting him back (even though that probably would put him in his "safe zone") will just reinforce that type of behavior.
This is my first Tiel as I'm sure you will be able to tell and I just want him to like me but am not sure how to handle him when he's acting up. Any and all advice will be appreciated as far as what to do right now and what to do when he is acting up. Thanks to anyone who does answer, and I will be checking the forum as often as I can. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is just a wall of text sorry
yeah so if u read it it clearly says i want advice so instead of complaining about it answer the question and if you have no feedback then leave. that was stupid to even type and post on here. it clearly says i need help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah so if u read it it clearly says i want advice so instead of complaining about it answer the question and if you have no feedback then leave. that was stupid to even type and post on here. it clearly says i need help.
thank you for summarizing for me lol unless you actually need help too lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as an update, things are getting better with my 'tiel. I had a friend recommend a spray bottle for him as #1 they like being misted on occasion and #2 i can change the spray to a stream for misbehaving (though I've decided only to use that selectively). The best route i've learned IS to just ignore him when he acts up. During the day he seems to have really no problem with me except for initially getting him out of his cage. Once he's out, though, he will happily sit on my shoulder and he's calm as can be. I think this is because of him being used to being left alone at his old home but he likes the attention once he is finally out. I've also been winning him over with crackers and millet. he is slowly becoming more accepting of treats from me, but that's a small few options. better than nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't read it sorry, it is just a wall of text. Maybe try putting in some paragraphing you might get more responses. Thanks.
You can read it ur just being stubborn and rude so get off my post if ur not going to be helpful. You don't get to pick and choose how people post. Get over yourself. I'm sure your birds hate you. I can already tell your personality must be atrocious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that if he is still being stubborn, try leaving him alone again. Whenever my bird misbehaves, I will just leave him alone, and eventually, he will come on my lap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that if he is still being stubborn, try leaving him alone again. Whenever my bird misbehaves, I will just leave him alone, and eventually, he will come on my lap.
First, thank you for your response. I know I stated before that I was using a water spray bottle, but I have quickly dropped that. I quickly felt it was still too cruel for my little 'tiel. So, as you have suggested, I have just been ignoring him completely until he feels ready to calm down. I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
Cinnamon
8 Posts
I have noticed that offering the back of my hand with fingers tucked into palm really helped my tiel get less hand shy. Tending/cleaning her cage without pestering her seemed to make her happier.

When she seems moody, and runs from my hand, I immediately just remove my hand, and just chill and talk to her a bit. It seems birds respond best to existing passively together at first, and giving yummy food. Be sure to offer some fun foraging toys in her cage.

I have only had a cockatiel for a month and change, but these methods have been working for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts