Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Well I finally got a new cockatiel last night and I am very happy. We both made it through the night in one piece, which is good too. Now that I have her (at least until her first molt proves one way or another) home I have come up with a few questions. The lady I got her from was very sweet. She gave me a ziplock back full of seed, some millet, and some of the leafy greens the baby is eating.

Question 1: What is a normal diet for a tiel and do you measure out how much seed you give a day, like I do with my budgies? Are pellets a required staple or are plenty of veggies and fruit enough? For now, I've just filled a bowl up with what she normally eats and have placed it near the perch she has chosen to camp out on. Once she gets settle in I'll start adding more veggies and stuff to her diet (other than the lettuce mix she already likes).

Question 2: The new baby keeps making this huffing noise whenever I get close and her crest (is that what it's called?) stays in an upright position. I'm assuming this means she is scared and unsure. She doesn't run away but all I'm going to do for now is sit near the cage and talk quietly to her. I guess what I want to know is am I interpreting her actions the right way or is she displaying something else that I don't know about?

Thanks for reading my novel. It's a bit early here so I hope I'm making sense. :wacko:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Awww, so pleased you've got your little cockatiel. It sounds like she is still settling in. As for the seed mix, I give Dooby parrot mix and millet, fresh fruit and veg, really as much as he wants. I don't limit his food at all, he only eats what he wants when he wants. I don't know if that's right or wrong, but it suits him. Maybe someone else can guide you a bit better. Photos would be good! ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a really neat pyramid. So pellets aren't a required staple for tiels as long as they are getting enough leafy greens and other fruit and veggies? Am I reading that part right?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Bea's food pyramid explains alot. I choose not to give pellets but I do have some Zupreem that's in the fridge-they get it once in a while. Ussually their daily food is a good seed mix and lots of veggies (pea, carrots, corn, green beans, sweet pepper, lentils, etc..whatever I have around)..
As far as the hissing sound and the crest you're right. This guide on behavior should help you: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/behavior.php

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Aly. I thought I was right about the hissing and crest thing. I don't let it bug me. I just sit there and talk to her. When I did have to handle her (to get her in and out of the travel cage) she nibbled on me a little bit but again I didn't let it bother me. She is still getting used to me and me to her. I'm sure will be best buds with time and patience.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't think we can get pellets here in the UK.....I might be wrong, but I've never seen any where I buy Dooby's food. Rosie!! Oh Roooossssiiiieeee!!! Have you seen pellets anywhere?
I think they do have them in pets at home I get them for my Grey there.

And Bea's pyramid is amazing for dietary(sp) information.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike gets a seed mix that has lots of fruit/veggies in it dried of course and pellets. And veggies and some fruit if he does not run from it :wacko: I think coconut is his favourite. The food pyramid is great :)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I choose not to feed pellets, we don't have any of the good brands easily available here in Australia and i can't see the point in feeding a lesser brand when i have a good seed mix and lots of veggies available! :p

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I feed all my birds Zupreem Fruit blend they don't get seeds, unless its in a treat
the only ones who are getting seeds are the ones with babies(which at the moment are 2 pairs of budgies) and its a brand with the word Egg on it i can't remember the entire name off the top of my head seed mix plus they get all their veggies every day but we change it up so they don't get bored with it, like one day they'll get mixed veggies, one day its fresh kale, one day its fresh spinach, one day its fresh roman lettuce sometimes they get the veggies, and the birdie cakes we make

·
Registered
581 Posts
Bea, there is a good brand of pellets here in Aus...
its called 'parrot pellets BREEDER' by Vetafarm... an Aus brand... based in Wagga Wagga...
they are the people who make AVICLENS...
... i only use the pellets as a 'treat' but i have had Vetafarm pellets recommended by breeders, as a high quality food, that the weaned babies will go straight to... i have also heard it is easy to convert a pellet raised bird back to seeds... but not as easy the other way round... seeds are addictive! and a seed raised bird sometimes has issues accepting fresh fruit an veges...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Vetafarm is what i used, i didn't like it much, and the birds didn't seem to either. I much preferred Harrisons which i could only get through my avian vet, and it cost me a fortune. :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
... i only use the pellets as a 'treat' but i have had Vetafarm pellets recommended by breeders, as a high quality food, that the weaned babies will go straight to... i have also heard it is easy to convert a pellet raised bird back to seeds... but not as easy the other way round... seeds are addictive! and a seed raised bird sometimes has issues accepting fresh fruit an veges...
That's the same way I feed them too-just as an treat once in a while but your right- it's better to start them on pellets so they always know what they are. You're also right about it being much harder getting seed raised to eat veggies and fruits. I didn't have a hard time with the tiels but it took me a almost a year to get the budgies to love veggies. They like them better then seed now but still--it was a pain at first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.