Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends! New bird mom here! [Well, sort of. I owned a budgie in the past, but this is my first cockatiel!]

Literally any tips would be adored [I've been doing research nonstop, but I love more tips!] but I have a very specific question.

I adopted [more like rescued] a cockatiel a couple days ago, from a friend whose mother got annoyed with her and was threatening to let her out in the outdoors.

Her name is Stormy, and her wings are clipped. I don't want to keep it that way - I want them to grow out so she can navigate the room properly without falling or worrying about being hurt from not being able to fly. My budgie passed in a clipped wing-related accident, so this is not up for debate.

My question for now is: How do I make sure she's safe until then? How do you properly set up a cage so clipped wing birds are safe, and not constantly jumping and falling to the bottom? And when we get to that point, if she hasn't molted yet, how do you birb-safe-proof-etc a room for clipped birds so she can walk/hop around safely?

I don't have carpet but I have fluffy pom pom rugs that would make soft landings down from my desk, and I could surround the area with them. I'm just worried.

Any advice would help!
Thank you, and it's nice to meet you all!
:grey tiel:

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
It all starts with how MUCH the birds wings are clipped. I think most people (myself included) clip in a way they gives them at least limited flight. This means they can still fly straight for short distances but can't gain much if any height. I'm one that does NOT like clipping a birds wings but there are times when it is needed. I have four tiels and two of them pretty much stay trimmed. As to floor walking, just make sure your aware when there ON the floor and watch were you step. Be mindful of other pets you may have that can harm the bird even if just playing with them. As to the cage, I would say it is rare for a clipped bird to fall in a cage. Most use there beaks and feet to climb anyway. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Good call on letting her wings grow out. How short are her wings clipped? Is she able to glide some distance or does she drop like rock to the floor?

What size cage do you have her in? Is it tall or wide? 'Tiels are excellent climbers so having clipped wings doesn't affect how you set up a cage (unless the clip is really bad and the cage is large with some height to it). Just make sure, if the cage is quite tall, that you have perches lower down to the bottom so she can climb up higher with ease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.