Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You asked for them Meaggiedear so here they are, a picture tour of my latest creation.

This all started because I discovered I'd built a permanent structure in front of my closet door. So I got to thinking what I could replace it with, that was on wheels, ie possible to move other than hours of work.

So the original idea was to take something like a microwave cart and build up.
I didn't find any microwave carts, but I did find a small sewing table on wheels that we are not using. Since it is fairly nice oak I chose other methods than my usual sheet rock screws for attaching things.

So each leg got a 5-6 foot tall stick tied to it with green cord. The leaf pattern your seeing is the tablecloth over the top.

Sticks have been baking and aging for years on my front porch.

This is the top of the sewing table with a placemat for them to destroy, bathing area, and climbing nets to the next level up.

This is where it starts getting interesting.

The purple perch in front is the main "runway" back to the cage. Comes out at door level. It is detachable from the cage with 2 wing nuts. So with just a minute or so I can move the whole thing out of the way. On the left side is a piece of shelving they can use as a ladder. It is enamel coated steel.
The blue and red braided rope leads from this level to the top of the cage.
There is also a long spiral rope down the left side.

The whole thing is finished off with several toys for them to enjoy, from finger trips to a ball of excelsior (aspen) to paper towel holders.

And a padded high perch. Often used, but for some reason their all time favorite is something of a monstrosity. Its original function was a holder for something like a small canary or parakeet cage. It came home from the second hand store (total cost 2$) and I looked at it for a couple weeks before I started on it.

First I measured a perch to wedge into the center, notched the ends slightly, grunted to get it into place, then glued it. Then proceeded to pad and cover almost all of it. Both the center perch and the arching top are almost always in use every hour of the day. It is by far their favorite place. It doesn't matter where in the room it is, they will fly to it.

There is a homemade string toy hanging at the top, both will play with it but I have actually seen Cara falling off the perch while playing with it. A simple round plastic disc with holes punched in it, and different kinds of string tied on, some knots, some that is fun to fray, etc.

The climbing net is just heavy plastic netting about 1.25" square. I do tend to try to pad the top edge to make perch places that are easy on their feet.
(City workers use the same netting in orange at construction sites)

The main thing is start with something. Let the idea rummage around in the back of your head for a bit. Obviously I'm handy with my hands, but there is nothing more complicated in this whole structure than cords, string, and zip ties.

A couple of hours to build, a few more hours tweaking, padding favored perches, etc. Why not indulge your birds a bit, and hey, you might just have fun doing it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow it looks awesome! I should get working on something like that! I bet your birdies love it!!! :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Cool work you have going there! I bet the critters will enjoy it immensely!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very creative, your birdy is going to have so much fun! I especially like the massive spiral rope perch down the side. Where do you get one like that?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spork I made that myself. Started with a longer piece of polypropolene hollow braid rope and then carefully worked a long piece of copper wire into the center, and shaped it.

The wire I used is pretty heavy gauge, about 1/8 of an inch thick. Helps to round the end so it slides smoothly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts