Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there, i have recently purchased a cockatiel, its a 2-3 month old lutino.

Firstly i am not sure if its a boy or girl. i'm hoping its a boy as i would like him to be abit more vocal. is there any way i can tell or someone on here can tell? at 2-3 months how vocal should they be? would they have minor traits of boy/girl at this stage?

from when i got him until now he has not been very vocal. a few chirps here and there and this strange sound when i hold him or pat him.

this is a link and you can here this sound towards the end. any information about it would be great.
http://youtu.be/VGeLX-pwPCo

another question is that sometimes he seems scared of me... he was hand reared, and i'm able to put my hands near/on his beak, pat him, but every now and then he refuses to understand "up", and backs away from me, but he does not hiss.. just ignores me and moves away.. is this normal?..

by the way, from the video can someone tell the real mutation? and i dont have a name for him yet.. soon i hope :)
thanks for your input, i have many questions but will ask in due course.

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Can I just point out there was not much interaction between
you & the bird.... 3 Step-ups & not a treat offered. From the birds
point of view your just an annoying perch that keeps putting it
back to where it just came from. Stroke the birds head in the
direction of the feathers, if it wants more it will ask by bowing its
head. Your fingers encircling its throat make it feel uncomfortable.
Sorry if this sounds like a lecture, not intended to..Can't help with
your birds sex....B.J.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi there-

Actually my response is going to be much more optimistic! Yeah the poster above was, in my opinion a little preachy.

First off, talk to him :) it took me a lot of getting used to talking to my tiel but as he got to know me and I him we chatter all the time.

Also do the step up with one finger. That will help him "get" what you want. Step up is useful in all kinds of scenarios.

In terms of sex lutinos are very hard to tell by feathers. Just decide on the sec in your mind cause its more for our cultural needs than the birds physical ones unless he starts laying eggs.

And that sound at the end is the me-so-horny noise.

Good luck! He's cute as a button

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

I usually am very vocal with my bird but i just was silent for the video...

Hes usually quite good around me, he can eat from my hand , he sits on one leg which i read is a good thing so thats reassuring. I was stopping him incase he got hurt if he fell off my bed. Hs not so strong in flying yet. But hes getting better.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Hi Can I just point out there was not much interaction between
you & the bird.... 3 Step-ups & not a treat offered. From the birds
point of view your just an annoying perch that keeps putting it
back to where it just came from. Stroke the birds head in the
direction of the feathers, if it wants more it will ask by bowing its
head. Your fingers encircling its throat make it feel uncomfortable.
Sorry if this sounds like a lecture, not intended to..Can't help with
your birds sex....B.J.
For a video showing the sound a bird is making, I don't want a lot of interaction from the owner. You can't judge how an owner interacts with a bird by one video.:)

And that sound at the end is the me-so-horny noise.
The baby is way too young to be hormonal and making that noise. The noise is actually the baby feed me noise. Young babies make this to get attention or food. And since the baby is eating he's making it for attention. Also, the head scritches were fine, my birds love having they're whole head scratched, even their chins.

Do you know what the parents of this bird were?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks, i thought he was young for that but i'm not sure what age they mature etc ( i think i recently read around 1 year) anyway, i was just hoping it wasnt i'm sick or something noise.. glad its just attention.. he gets it much of that.

no idea about the parents, but from looking at mutation pictures he looked like a pied luntino.. but he hasnt molted yet or anything so that could change i think...

yeah, he usually moves his head for me so i can pat him, i'm very gentle with him, so if i sense i'm going to far i back off so he doesnt hate me..

should he be more vocal at this stage tho?

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If he is actually a she, then no. Since you don't know the parents you wont know the gender til after the first molt. A lot of lutinos are hens though because its easier to get girl lutinos then boy ones.

·
Registered
836 Posts
He is super cute and I agree that when you are video taping to show a condition or especially a vocal issue; it is best to be quiet....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thats true... i hope hes a boy but a girls just as good... he/she is super cute.. best one the lady had!

he always seems to stretch out his un-clipped wing alot.. is that normal? he stretches both, but the unclipped always fully open, while he opens with other wing like he's about to fly...

i might repost questions without a video.. :) as i know its just attention now.

thanks for your responses...

btw: if he see's himself in my door (as it is slightly reflective) he just walks up an down looking at himself.. its kinda funny..

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
So only one wing is clipped? This is very dangerous and a bad way to clip a bird as it unbalances them in flight. Is there any way to clip the other to make them equal?

As to the stretching, the clipped wing could feel weird because its lighter than the other and that may be cause for the stretching.

And the reflection thing COULD point towards boy as girls usually (of course there's always an exception) aren't interested in their reflection.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, i thought it was wierd too. i asked the lady where i got it, and she said that its normal, and the way its done.. but i thought about flying, landing, its all unbalanced :/ i would clip them, but i dont want to hurt my bird..lol so i'll have to figure something out.. maybe vets do this?.. i want my bird to be even!..

yes, maybe it is that.. if my hand was shorter than the other all of a sudden, it probably would feel wierd..

yeah, its possible, guess i'll have to wait and see..

thanks again for the reply! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts