Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadie Munro
New member · Just now
I have picked up two cockatiels and I have a few questions I would really appreciate some answers to!
The grey one we were told is male and that he was found in a garden, and is quite young. I understand the pearling pattern is a female trait but females do not sing - this bird sings a lot!
Their tail feathers are quite tattered - how can I help them with this?
The yellow / white bird we were told is female, she doesn't sing but 'screams'! I have read up on training and she has been getting quieter slowly. I read that males can become obsessed with mirrors, and this bird wouldn't do anything but stare at the mirror. Would you say these behaviours are more male or female?
I have been working on taming and they will both eat from my fingers but are still biting and hissing so I am being patient. I have also ordered them a flight cage as I feel the one they came with is too small for them, and they have had a mist and a preen this morning!
Pic for reference! :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Your cockatiels are gorgeous. If the whiteface pearl sings, whistles, does heartwings and dances, definitely male. The pearls take a few molts to completely disappear (my male pearl took about 2 years to fully molt out all his pearls). When he molts, see if the pearl pattern changes at all.

Since 75% of lutinos are females, it's more likely your lutino is a girl. Mirrors aren't healthy for birds regardless of their gender, so do remove the mirror from the cage.

You can't really do anything about their tattered tail feathers, you'll have to wait for them to molt out. A mist shower with some warm water in a spray bottle may help to tidy them up a bit in the meantime.

How long have you had them? You are doing really well with taming so far and yes I agree they deserve a better cage. Please keep us updated about them and don't hesitate to post about any other questions or concerns you may have. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there. I’m a relatively new owner (3 months) as well but from the research I did your white bird looks like a male. He has quite bright orange circles. I agree with Vickitiel re the feathers - they will grow back. About the screaming - I know with my boy it’s attention seeking and I try to ignore him when he does it and praise him when he stops screaming. I think gentleness and lots of talking to them helps. They are naughty though - but also very cute! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
from the research I did your white bird looks like a male. He has quite bright orange circles.
For any mutation aside from normal greys and cinnamons, the bright orange cheek patches aren't relative to gender. A female lutino can have very bright orange/red cheek patches as well as males.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.