Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I inherited 20 cockatiels, sadly in the 6 months I have had them, 3 escaped the aviary setup and 2 died and I gave one away. So I now have 14. Not sure of the ratio of male to female and but just recently they have all been super friendly to one another and now I have three nesting hens and 17 eggs...OMG

I have no idea of what to do with these prolific little breeders. Which is why I went web surfing and found this group

All help & advice would be appreciated. Because I don't want to do the wrong thing with these little ones if and when they hatch.

Regards

Lee

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

Woah, that's exciting! You've definitely come to the right place for plenty of information and help regarding breeding. I myself aren't experienced with chicks but there are many members here who are.

You'll want to check out the sticky library on breeding: http://talkcockatiels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Milo and me! Wow that is a lot to inherit :eek: but you will find lots of great help here. The sticky's are a great way to learn too.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here to help out. Sounds like you have your hands full!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hello and welcome! What exciting times! Perhaps you should look into how saleable your baby birds will be or you will be overwhelmed lol the market for handreared birds is quite good but its time consuming. You are also going to need to remove the nest boxes once they have had one or two max clutches or they will overbreed and be prone to health problems. So take your time, read lots, ask questions, think about what you want from your birds and keep us posted!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome to you from me and Percy! :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Allo Allo from central Canada! You've come to the right place! Everybody here is knowledgeable and most people know what they're talking about, LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and welcome! What exciting times! Perhaps you should look into how saleable your baby birds will be or you will be overwhelmed lol the market for handreared birds is quite good but its time consuming. You are also going to need to remove the nest boxes once they have had one or two max clutches or they will overbreed and be prone to health problems. So take your time, read lots, ask questions, think about what you want from your birds and keep us posted!
Saleability is not a problem, in fact I have had a few people asking me about them. And can't remove the nesting boxes, they are embedded in the wall of the aviary. Maybe I can block the holes or something.

Regards Lee

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the welcomes, its great. I think maybe I have too many breeding pairs and not enough nests, there have been fights and it seems that 3 of the 4 nesting hens have mostly abandoned their nests. I have noticed them out during the day and only going into the nests at night. I touched the eggs today and they are all cold. So seems like there won't be 17 more little tiels. (not really a bad thing though) the 4th hen is still sitting, she is actually taken over a nesting box I set up for my Japanese Quail, so I have no idea of how many eggs she has and whether she is sitting on them or not. SO here is my question, should I dispose off all the eggs from the other girls?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yes, if they aren't sitting on them anymore it would be best to get rid of the eggs. For now, blocking any holes would be a bad idea because of the single hen still sitting. She may get attacked if that's the only nest box left open.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, if they aren't sitting on them anymore it would be best to get rid of the eggs. For now, blocking any holes would be a bad idea because of the single hen still sitting. She may get attacked if that's the only nest box left open.
Thank you, I removed the eggs from the nests but it seems that one hen has now taken over the eggs that were left which were from another hen. My partner made another bank of 3 more nesting boxes, so we will put that in the aviary and see if things settle down.

Regards Lee

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hello and welcome! I am from Australia, too!

What a crazy amount of birds to inherit! It's a wonderful thing you are doing for them though. Good luck with them all and the babies!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello again, I have no idea of what is going on with these birds, they have laid more eggs, a lot more eggs and they are still sitting on them but none are hatching. Is it possible that the males are infertile, its been over a month now and no chicks from any of the eggs they have laid.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Infertility could be an issue. This could be age, overbreeding or nutritional deficits. There is loads of info in the breeding stickies on this site

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I take it all back, this morning I had decided to take all the eggs and dispose of them because it can't be good all this sitting and no result. And I have two babies, one is with mum and the other seems to be on it's own, and yet both parents have been in the nest for days but now it's hatched they have left it. Should I interfere?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I take it all back, this morning I had decided to take all the eggs and dispose of them because it can't be good all this sitting and no result. And I have two babies, one is with mum and the other seems to be on it's own, and yet both parents have been in the nest for days but now it's hatched they have left it. Should I interfere?
Taking the eggs while they are sitting can cause them to lay more and "replace" the ones you took. Doing this often can lead to several problems including chronic egg laying

1 - 18 of 18 Posts