Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

We just got Rosie 3 days ago and as she is my first tiel (i have only had budgies before) i have a few questions if you could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if they are silly questions, but i want to look after her the best i can.She is 6-8wks old and very quiet still, barely moves or chirps. I can handle her quite easily and she is getting alot better each time i get her out. She steps up and sits on me comfortably. I can pat her and it doesn't bother her at all.I am in love,she is just adorable.

ok so here we go,

The feathers on top of her head seem to still be newish and some havent opened up fully yet, Rosie's seem to be straight up most of the time but when she eats or reaches for something they go backwards is this normal?

She seems to puff herself up alot like a little puffball.

Do your tiels have sleeps through the day, Rosie does but i was thinking it is cause she is still so young?

She has found her food and is eating ok but hasn't found her water yet, i lifted it up to her and she drank easily is there a way i can get her to find it as i 'm worried she's not getting enough?

She also makes this noise with her beak it sounds like an eating noise and opens and closes her beak is that her just cleaning?

Thanks heaps for your help

Donna

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Hi Donna and welcome to TC.

The feathers on top of Rosie's head are still very "new" if she is only 6 - 8 weeks old, they will thicken up with the first moult. Yes, it's normal for a crest to go flat back onto their heads as well. It depends on their mood. Napping during the day is normal, they all like to play hard and then have a little nap and then, off they go again. lol. Can she climb around her cage and perches alright? Sometimes when they are young they are ultra clumsy and can't quite manage it, can she get to her water? As for the puffing up, you say she does it a lot, well, it might be because she is still a baby.....or maybe somebody else can help out with that one.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the feathers on her head not being open yet. They will in time, and if she lets you scratch her head you can gently rub them and help her out. :) A tiels crest can be a sign of mood, completely upright usually means startled or scared, midway means happy and relaxed as does completely down. Mine don't always follow these guidelines though, you'll learn to figure out what Rosie's crest movements mean over time. ;)

Tiels often shake and puff their feathers to shake out any dust. They have powder down which when they preen leaves a fine white dust everywhere!!! Tiels are often adjusting their feathers and "decorating" their surroundings with dust. :p

All my birds have naps during the day, but it is especially normal for babies to have naps. They're still learning about being a tiel and that's tiring i suppose!

I wouldn't worry about her not drinking her water. Tiels don't drink a lot anyway and i'm sure she'll find the bowl when she's thirsty. Maybe put it right next to her food bowl if she's already found that.

Is the noise she's making like a grinding sound? If it is then that's a happy tiel sound. :D They beak grind when they're relaxed and happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts