Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from my bird family and me,

I thought I posted an introduction yesterday but cannot find it. So I will try again.
Last year I decided I wanted a pet parakeet. A work associate of my husbands has parakeets and Amazons he breeds. I went to check out the birds and picked 3 beautiful new feathered friends.
I went to the flea market a short time later and found a breeder there that had cockatiels. I brought my "Sneakers" home and what a blessing. He is my pride and joy.
This year I decided to get him a friend from the same breeder. The day before I went to get my 2nd boy, I saw an ad on Craigslist. A woman had 2 females she wanted to re-home. It included a large 3 section cage.
Got those, along with 2 eggs. One female was laying. She has laid 6 eggs, that if fertile, should be hatching within the week.
Still went and got my 2nd male (Romeo). He gave kisses the first day home.
The females were never handled and are timid. They are coming to the side of the cage when I talk to them. So that is a start. The laying hen is Baby and the other is Dolly. Dolly did come out for a fly around the 2nd day I had her. She got tangled in my tread stand, and I immediately picked her up. She allowed me to free her and pat and cuddle her. I was told they both bite but she never made any attempt. My thread is put away now when any come out to fly.

I posted a picture of Sneakers yesterday. Will post more pics of the others.

I also, in total have 23 budgies and 2 finches. They are all in my sewing room where I spend 18 hours a day. Although only the 2 male tiels are allowed out daily (others are not tamed enough yet) they all get to interact with me all day.

Thank you for letting me join this forum. I love all my babies and want to do what is best for them, so I have questions about the nesting mom and hopefully new hatchlings. I am counting the days and waiting for the first peeps. I am nervous but excited as well.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the welcomes. I did make a mistake though. I have 17 budgies not 23. It is 23 birds total. Sure can get loud at times but I love listening to the chatter and interactions.
Also it was Baby that came out and got caught in the thread. Dolly is still to timid to come out of her safe environment. That will come with time.
I took 3 of my budgies with clipped wings from their cage tonight and put them together on top of a cage closer to me. They played. Would not come to me yet though. I had to catch them to put them back in the cages but then they all got treated with sprays of millet. I will start doing that each day and hopefully they will start to get used to me and look forward to the hand that frees them.
If I had a room with just the birds the cages would be open all day for them but unfortunately if i did that i am sure some would escape to other rooms when i left the room and they are much too timid to have free range of the whole place. If they got hurt or got outside i would never forgive myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts