Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Tracy .I live in England UK.I have recently rescued a cockatiel off a swap and sale site the poor bird was in a bit of a state.As the son had lost interest .I have changed the cage to a more suitable one for the cockatiel.In the week I have had him or her as I can't tell or know it's age.I am looking for some knowledge as you can only get so much off the internet.
I'm trying to get it to eat veg and fruit with its diet but it won't touch it .it was only fed budgie seed and a treatstick .it now has a proper mix seed and mineral block plus cuttlefish. Some advice would be great thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. I am so glad to hear you rescued this poor bird from some person that just lost interest. Have you taken him or her to a vet to be checked out yet? Perhaps they could give you some idea as to how old the bird is. Since I assume you have know idea what it's previous owner fed him, be patient with any foods you try him on. I have 4 tiels. two are about 4 months old and have yet to warm up to broccoli. The other two love it! I'm not sure what all brands are available in UK but in the states, Roudy-bush and higgins vita seed cockatiel mix are excellent choices. Above all, if this is your first cockatiel, just remember it may take time for him to get use to his new surroundings and the food you may feed him. By all means, post a few pictures of your new bird if you can and good luck.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you for rescuing a cockatiel in need! You've done a great thing. If you post a picture of him/her, we may be able to help out with gender and age based on looks. But generally by the time they are a few weeks past weaning age, it is very difficult to determine the age of a cockatiel.

It will take a few weeks or months for your new 'tiel to fully settle into his/her new home and enviornment. Is he/she tame at all?

Cockatiels aren't natural fruit eaters so the majority of them won't eat fruit so don't worry. For vegetables you could try some finely chopped broccoli florets and shredded carrots. Since he's still adjusting to his new home he may not take to any different foods yet. My flock enjoy leafy greens such as silverbeet, spinach and celery, I just peg it in the cage so it hangs from the top and they love it. You can read about the ideal diet for a cockatiel in this Sticky article.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi no I don't believe ever handled but I trying to build a bond by talking softly and just placing my hand on outside of the cage until that is accepted then go to putting my hand at the cage opening .I know it will take some time as I get hissed at but I'm really want a happy cockatiel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts