Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm Cialus, easier to call me Kye or Blue short for my handle. (lol)

43 and have had cockatiels on and off for several years.

My latest bonded pair i bought about a year ago. She is fine with him leaving the cage and sitting on my shoulder while i game online. However he goes nuts if i take her out of the cage or he cant see or hear her.

Those things aside, the main problem i'm having is her ferocity when she lays an egg, at him in the cage.

Otherwise normal behaviour when not nesting, she chases him around the cage and attacks him if he even gets close to the nest, even tho before she lays they can both sit in the nest without issue...

Secondly both being hand-raised (and i have been aware of this in the past), after about a week she stops nesting / sitting on an egg/eggs and ignores them completely. They both do.

Seeing that they're only nesting in a saucepan, i'm considering getting a proper nest box but doubt the behaviour(s) will change. Should i discourage them from breeding at all?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

How old are your 'tiels? Are they old enough to breed in the first place? Perhaps they need more time to bond with each other before you try to breed them. You could take out their nest and give them a break for a month or so before introducing a proper nest box, and in the mean time introduce some hormone control methods to calm down the aggression. I have linked the Sticky article on hormone control here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The pair were pre-bonded when i got them at the pet store a year ago. ...
She has lost all the feathers off the back of her neck from over-preening.

All that said, in the past few days, he has been taking over sitting on the eggs. She appears to have gotten over the overt aggressiveness about the eggs. :)

edit;
my concern now is the current nest they have (after reading up on the best possible setup). ... it is a saucepan with a few tissues inside.

should i get a proper nest box and the aspen shavings - and relocate the eggs?....

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yes you should put a proper nest box in with the correct bedding, your current setup will cause problems with the chicks if the eggs do hatch, and the eggs won't be properly cushioned or insulated on some tissues. There is a risk of your pair abandoning the eggs by changing the setup but I think it would be worth doing anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts