Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have just joined this forum and would like to introduce myself as Curlybird, I have my first cockatiel who is now 7 months old, she was hand reared so very friendly, found out she was female about a month ago when she was doing the flirty dance, she is such a lovely little bird but just over the past couple of days when I put her back in her cage she does this dance and if I go anywhere near her she will attack! Can't put my hand into her cage until she has settled down, is this normal? How long does this hormonal behaviour last? Any replies would be much appreciated, I love my little bird so much and don't like to see her like a jeckle and Hyde. I am female myself so am sympathetic for my sweet bird. 馃槀

Registered
Hi there, I have just joined this forum and would like to introduce myself as Curlybird, I have my first cockatiel who is now 7 months old, she was hand reared so very friendly, found out she was female about a month ago when she was doing the flirty dance, she is such a lovely little bird but just over the past couple of days when I put her back in her cage she does this dance and if I go anywhere near her she will attack! Can't put my hand into her cage until she has settled down, is this normal? How long does this hormonal behaviour last? Any replies would be much appreciated, I love my little bird so much and don't like to see her like a jeckle and Hyde. I am female myself so am sympathetic for my sweet bird. 馃槀
so what you should do is dont ever put your hand in there cage, because they see that as something that is trying to reach in and grabe them. instead you should us a garbage perch such as a dowel perch to get her out. now her hormanal behavoir could be because of many things the first thing i recomend is if you have a mirror in your birds cage take it out! it can cause the to have bad behavoirs because they thing it is there mate or friend, also when your bird is out of you cage if she is going to go see a mirror while she is out of her cage then you should cover that but also if even have a mirror behind the cage take it away. now she could also be telling this because she wants a friend or male to breed with. that is my edvice for now tho i do suggest sending me a pick of your cage and then maybe i can help a little more

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
i am new too馃槀
Thanks for the reply, her cage is a large one with plenty of perches and toys in it. Still plenty of space for her to get around. No mirror. I do give her space when she is in her cage and being hormonal, did really want to know how long this behaviour lasts.

Registered
Well, some of you may think I am crazy, but I noticed on our female cockatiel that her behaviour sometimes follows my cycle... like she is crazy when I am about to get my period or when I ovulate... so: her hormonal behaviour may not last long, but it will occur again. And again...

Registered
Thanks for the reply, her cage is a large one with plenty of perches and toys in it. Still plenty of space for her to get around. No mirror. I do give her space when she is in her cage and being hormonal, did really want to know how long this behaviour lasts.
it really depends on what she is being hormonal if she is hromanal for about month and hasnt stop go see a vet see what they say if she is just orgianllay hormonal then maybe try and reward her when she is not hormanal and being nice also if she is not tamed or anything try and tame her and that might help

Registered
I have built a custom cage and have had my hand reared girl from 15 weeks. I not only put my hand in to the cage to put her back in there if I need to go out etc....., but I go and get her several times a day and even now, during mating season, even though she only has another female with her.
She's never attacked me in any way, but sometimes doesn#t want to leave the cage so will shun my hand and move back or away from it. At that point, I leave her to it.
The only time she did attack me, more to get me away from here than actually attacking me, was when I opened up a sleep area I have added to the cage which she then chose as a nesting area, which they fiercly protect.
My other girl who is many years older, isn't tame at all and she always 'attacks me; when I try and coax her on to my finger, hand etc.... To be fair, she's getting better and has only been here 2 months, which is not a setup she is use to as she hs always lived in an outside aviary, whereas now, it's a larger aviary in a home instead.

It might be that your girl is lonely as she has always been with others until now and they do say that Cockaitels should always be kept in pairs or above. I have 2 females because I don't want the breeding part of it, but I know that when i got my 2nd girl who isn't tame, she really let me know that she didn't want me anywhere near her to start with, as she was still learning about her new environment. She's getting better but it can take a few months for them to settle.

If she is handreared as you state, she shouldn't be attacking you for literally putting your hand in the cage to her, but you shouldn't need to use branches either, because she should be use to hands anyway.
If you can, take a picture when it happens and make sure it includes the cage area, so that we can guage the area she is attacking you in.
perhaps you can also try moving your hand much slower and see if that helps.

Registered
WELCOME all new members!!! I have a rather large number if tiels myself, 7 females and 6 males! I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have, just hit me up. I'm in Texas, USA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts