Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and new to the world of tiels. My boyfriend has always wanted a bird so we've been talking about it for a year or two and now that we're in a good position to look after a bird, we've decided to get two cockatiels.

I had a budgie when I was a kid but he wasn't hand-tamed so this is all new to me. We went to visit a breeder today and have picked out two birds that we will collect in the next couple of weeks once they start eating on their own.

We've done a lot of research and reading about owning a tiel and we've bought and built a cage for them (it's much bigger than we expected but it's better too have a lot of space rather than not enough!) so it's exciting to finally have two little babies waiting to be picked up soon.

I've read that boxes are suitable to transport them home in - not sure whether cardboard boxes are okay and how big they should be, does anyone have advice?

Also, aside from the obvious things - cage, seed, newspaper, feed bowls, perches, toys, cuttlebone (or alternative??) what else do we need to make sure we're all set up for our new little friends?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i think the setup is absolutely fine :) once they arrive they will be very new to the environment and may not act like the way you expected. but soon they will be a good companion. you juts need to give the time to get adjusted to the new environment. and it's very important to get them new healthy foods (like vegetables. eggs etc) once they are familiar with you and the surroundings. don't let them eat seeds only. anyways hope you'll have great time with the two cuties.. and look forward to see some pics too..

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forums! I hope you like it here! You must be so excited to bring home 2 cockatiels! I brought my cockatiel home in just a small cardboard box with 2 holes in it. :D

·
Registered
672 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your soon-to-be new "fids" (Feathered Kids).

As a breeder, I usually recommend folks going to someplace like WallyWorld (walmart) and in the pet section you can usually find a small cage that looks like it is for finches or parrotletts. It runs about $17 or $18. I keep a few on hand for folks who can't find them. Anyway, if you get something like that, then you have a transport cage in case you need to go to the vet in a hurry. I don't recommend the pet carriers because the holes on the smallest size are just big enough for a cockatiel to get their head stuck in (had that happen to a client - luckily, they were still here and I was able to free the bird for them). Boxes are ok (Petsmart and Petco send their birds home in them) but they are pretty scary for a bird because they are slick and dark, there is no foothold for the baby to be secure. I have had much better luck sending my babies home in a cage covered with a towel than in a box. :)

However you end up getting your babies, I am sure it will be fine. :) Welcome again to the forum. Be sure to post pictures so we can all oohhh and ahhh over your new fids.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone :)

I'm actually from Australia so we don't have Walmart here but I'm sure there are small cages around in similar stores here. If we can't find one before we go to pick them up, I may have to improvise with a box and a towel.

We'll be sure to introduce them to some different foods, I've had a look on various websites at what they can and can't eat. The breeder we're buying from said that one of the older tiels he owns has his own dinner plate because if he doesn't have one of his own, he'll eat off theirs!

The cage we've got is quite large so they're going to look really tiny in it. I just hope they don't find it too scary.

We were originally going to get just the one cockatiel but decided that since we don't have the time to be with it all day, it'd be better for us to have two so that they can have a friend to share the day with. In terms of bonding and training - what do you think will happen since there's two of us and two of them? Hard to know whether they will each bond with one of us or the two of us. How do cockatiels go with more than one human pal? Hopefully they'll both be friendly with both of us.

I'll be sure to post some pics when our babies arrive :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts