Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, I used to breed about 12yrs ago..... just getting back into it, and I have two pair now. Just picked up this male. Thought he was just a Cinnamon(I have two others that are Cinn Pearl), but I got him home, and was checking him out, he has ALOT of Yellow underneath all that brown/grey.most of his feathers are tipped yellow, which I found odd. the person I got it from, said she got the baby from a breeder, but other than that didn't know anything about it......so.....is it cinnamon....or possiable emerald(olive)? eyes are brown, by the way....and the pics don't do justice....the feathers look grey, but he is not a normal grey.....he is almost lighter in color than my other cinnamons.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
The picture has a lot of camera artifacts in it so I can't really tell anything about the male's color. But he doesn't look emerald based on what I can see. There are several other possibilities. Cinnamon is more sensitive to sunlight than other colors, and if he's been spending a lot of time outdoors the feathers may simply be faded. It's possible that he has a lot more yellow suffusion than usual because of a normal genetic variation. Extra yellow on the feathers can also be a symptom of liver disease, so it would be good to see a veterinarian if he hasn't had a health check recently.

Is this a young bird? He has the tailfeathers of a hen/juvenile, but his face mask doesn't look like a young male who's just starting to get his adult plumage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, he is only about 8 months old, and my phone camera isn't that great at taking pics. I have him going to the vet in a week, so hopefully everything checks out. im going to assume he is a cinnamon. I have plans to pair him with a normal hen, so see what happens. if I get cinnamon babies.....tada. :) thanks for the reply. :grey tiel:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new pics

ok......here are some more pics. I hope they load. I know that cinnamon has dark red eyes....but his eyes are brown no red reflection at all. he is slowly molting out the bars on the tail....weird thing is...the bars are only on the top of the feather, not on the bottom, like with hens. blood work came back, he is in perfect health(yeah!)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
These pictures are much better! He looks like cinnamon to me, possibly with "ghost pearls" on his back so he might be split to pearl. Don't put too much faith in eye color - my cinnamon males have normal-looking eyes that don't usually reflect red in pictures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks hun. that's what I have come up with also. lol. I have him paired with a regular hen, that way if I get cinnamon or pearl babies, I know the sex. lol. Breed smarter, not harder, right?? anyways, thank you so much for your input, I love your website, BTW. I would love to get a tricolor tiel. those look amazing!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts