Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife brought home a 13month old kitty this week. So far they seem to be getting along fine. (Nimbus the whiteface) seems to be far more interested in the cat than the cat is in the birds. Bella (the cat) will sometimes stalk the birds but never actually tries to touch, catch, or swat at the 'tiels. On multiple occasions I've caught nimbus giving Bella heart wings and whistling to her. Is this a very dangerous situation? So far Bella is more interested in her toys, and fancy feast than the 'tiels, however the 'tiels tend to get too close to Bella out of their own curiosity for my comfort. Should I be discouraging this beha ior? http://imgur.com/47cj6Ni

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I would most definitely discourage it. A cat is a predator and a bird is their prey, and it will always be that way, no matter how domesticated your cat is. Instinct is stronger than anything, and no carnal instinct can truly be eliminated so there's no way I would be letting my 'tiels get that close to a cat. It only takes a split-second for something to go wrong and it will most likely be fatal. I've heard a story of how a cat was trying to play with a parrot, and the parrot got an accidental cut from the cat's claws, it got infected and the parrot died. Animal saliva is also incredibly toxic to birds. Definitely not worth the risk, at all.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Yes, I definitely would not be having them out together at the same time. Very unsafe because a cat's instincts will always be there and it could flip on her just like that. I recall you saying that you lived somewhere small, but you would need to find a place for Bella to be so that the tiels can be out for a while

·
Registered
786 Posts
Be very careful, especially if you go someplace- shut the cat in a bedroom or such. My cats practically ignored my JoJo, and I didn't think anything would every go wrong. I kept JoJo in his cage when I wasn't there, and only had him out with the cats out of the room. However, I left one day to go to the store, thinking all would be fine, and when I came home, JoJo was dead. Apparently the cat had somehow got his paws into the cage (and the cage has small spaces on the bars- 5/8") and not only killed JoJo, but had taken his head off too. I am still in shock and miss my little buddy so much. It isn't something you want to see.:frown: So PLEASE take care. Having cat is fine if you protect your bird at all times. Don't ever think you bird is safe in his cage alone, put the cat away when you leave. Discourage any interest the cat may show in the bird too.
Sorry this is so long, but I can't state it strongly enough- and if I can save one precious bird, I have done my job.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I didn't know that was how you lost your tiel Paula. I am so sorry you went through that. I had a kitty a long time ago and a budgie. I kept the budgie cage way out of what I thought was leaping distance. One night the cat took a leap as if he had wings and was able to knock the cage over right in front of me. I learned at that time that we can quickly underestimate the predator instinct in cat or dog. I was shocked how high a leap a cat can make.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thank you Francesca. It was the hardest thing to see, and also to know that the kitty instinct was so strong. I still love my cats, but you can bet I will never make that mistake again.
Wow, it knocked the cage down? That would have scared me to death. You are so right, you can never underestimate their instincts.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, she was a powerful lunger and the cage was a small cage. She actually shot up from the arm of the sofa. I didn't think it was physically possible, but then I've seen our neighbor's cat bolt from our yard when my dogs chased them out, and the cat shot through our wood fence and took out the loose plank head first. I thought she had to have knocked herself out cold, but she was fine. When instincts kick in animals can do amazing things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts